Topic Tuesday: Diversity and Inclusion, Marketing Division

Karen O'Keefe March 5, 2019

I was just reading an article about trends in diversity and inclusion for 2019. One of the items mentioned was "more diverse products." Their examples included movies like "Black Panther" and "Crazy Rich Asians;" Fenty's wide-ranging cosmetics line (shades for everything from albinism to dark skin tones) and adaptive controllers for video games.

Have you noticed more inclusive products? Or are there products you would lime to see developed? If so, the markets are paying attention right now, so it's a good time to make yourself heard.

1 comment

Comment

BiancaE
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 6, 2019

Disclaimer, I'm a marketer so I feel like I pay attention to this more than most. While I can't comment on products themselves, I can comment on my observations of how things are marketed. I find it interesting that the way in which the US presents diversity is more about non-racial diversity - disabilities, sexual orientation, age. I was in Canada recently and really taken aback by the way in which racial diversity seems so much more prominent in marketing there! It seems to me that US marketers start with white models as the base and add diversity from there, so if there's only 1 person featured, it's usually a white person, versus in Canada where a single person can of any racial background. It was very fascinating to casually observe this.

Like Karen O'Keefe likes this
Karen O'Keefe March 6, 2019

I agree. Unfortunately, racism in this country is pretty pervasive. That's what makes mainstream movies like Crazy Rich Asians and Black Panther so extraordinary. I'm pretty lucky in that I'm part of the mainstream, so never thought about this stuff until I saw the effect it had on my friends and family. I hope we have more diversity and inclusion in the future. We have a lot of ground to cover.

Like BiancaE likes this
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events