The difference between Equality & Equity images

Jodi LeBlanc
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 18, 2019

I am sure you all remember the Equality and Equity images which were very impactful, however most times the photos were displayed with the only difference being in their height.

IISC_EqualityEquity.png

Equity-Equality-Graphic-blog.jpg

I found this image that demonstrates more diversity, I will be sure to use this one for any presentations I do explaining the difference in the two terms.

DEvr4k3VwAAEhHW.jpg

2 comments

Comment

Sharon Helms
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 2, 2019

Thanks for sharing this, @Jodi LeBlanc ! I've shared the more inclusive image with our teams and we'll be using it too -- particularly in our accessibility presentations.

Jodi LeBlanc
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 3, 2019

Thanks Sharon, that is great to hear!

Sharon Helms
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 16, 2019

I shared this conversation with our accessibility working group, and learned something interesting: they preferred the second image, to the third one --even though the only "difference" between the people is height, because the solution it offers addresses the root cause of the inequity (by removing the fence altogether). 

It would be great if someone would create a mash-up of the last two images to show both diversity and addressing root causes! 

Here's another version of these images that someone shared with me: image.png 

Jodi LeBlanc
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 17, 2019

Thanks for sharing this perspective Sharon, I agree it would be wonderful to have a mash-up of the two images. Maybe we have some design pros in this community that would want to create one :) As we know a picture is worth 1000 words.

Jodi LeBlanc
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 17, 2019

Here is another image I saw recently using apple trees and boxes.

equity-vs-equality-apples.jpg

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events