Six personals of strategic change as applied to diversity and inclusion

Jodi LeBlanc
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 28, 2019

I came across these six personas of strategic change applied to diversity and inclusion from Deloitte's Insights on Diversity and Inclusion and wanted to share with you. What are your thoughts? Do you recognize any of these personas in the workplace?

4209_fig6.png

1 comment

Comment

Dara October 8, 2019

Interesting way of categorising this. I do think though, that the third one from the left summarises the reason why people aren't engaged in diversity the best: 'In the dark about diversity and inclusion'. A lot of people don't really understand what it is and why it is helpful, besides PR. This is a large underlying factor for the first two personas from the left I believe.

Especially as someone in tech I believe this needs to change. We now have a small subsection of our population involved in designing our technology. This technology then only works well for that subsection of the population, without any ill intent involved but simply because there weren't enough perspectives involved.

So staying on topic: what would be good ways to inform people and move them towards the right on this scale?

Jodi LeBlanc
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 11, 2019

Great points @Dara ! I was trained as an ally for a Positive Space initiative and it kept coming up that when people encountered differences from themselves, they were afraid to ask for fear of saying the wrong thing, so they just freeze up and don't know what to do (turn the other way), which fuels disconnection. 

Storytelling is powerful, I find this video (which I have shared in this group previously), InclusionStartsWithI to really open our eyes to or blind spots and biases. These are not actors, they are Accenture UK employees. The more we talk about it the more people will learn/find out/hear/understand/embrace.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2g88Ju6nkcg

Dara October 15, 2019

Great video indeed! Sadly I think it would probably be seen by quite a few people in the 'Opposed'-category as preachy and cause them to dig their heels in more. But then again, is it really possible to convince everyone anyway?

You've mentioned storytelling more often. Could you maybe elaborate with what you mean with this? Sharing experiences, I assume, but in what context? I can see how this might create the opposite effect if not handled well, with people being seen as simply complaining. This is of course something that we want to prevent. How have you handled such things?

Jodi LeBlanc
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 19, 2019

Thanks Dara, I loved the video and others I have shown it to did as well, but I agree it may turn others off. As for storytelling, for our positive space initiative we had individuals share their story so that others could learn, understand and connect with the individual sharing. I find this much more impactful when they know the individual and also sharing real stories have been more effective than case studies or generic presentations.

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events