Service Dogs

Jodi LeBlanc
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 1, 2020

Did you know? Service dogs are trained to perform specific tasks to support people with visible and non-visible disabilities. Leaving a Service Dog to do their work undisturbed is a simple way we can all help foster inclusion.

ECrk4wgW4AI3RC6.jpg

3 comments

Comment

Scott Theus
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 2, 2020

Thanks for sharing, @Jodi LeBlanc !

It is astounding how much misinformation exists about service animals, and how often a service animal is seen as a pet (and worse, how may pets are falsely represented as service animals.) 

For instance...while most service dogs are retrievers, did you know that the same breed behaviors that make pit pulls known as fighting dogs also makes them good service dogs? Pitties are extremely loyal animals and have an innate desire to please. Historically, this has been used to abuse them as fighting dogs, but they are actually very gentle in most cases when they are raised and trained well.  In my volunteer work with animal rescues I've known several certified service dog trainers that adopt unwanted pit bull puppies and train them as service animals. 

Jodi LeBlanc
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 3, 2020

Thanks Scott, that warms my heart that you do volunteer work with animal rescues. I completely agree about pit bulls, they are so kind and loving, it is humans that interfered and took advantage of their loyalty - which gave them the bad name they have today. One of my kindest, sweetest dogs was a pitbull mix (she was a rescue) - she was the only dog I trusted 110%, she was such a darling girl. Sadly she died at 5.5 years old from an  immune disorder and we did everything we could to save her. Here's a photo of her, such a beauty. Miss her dearly.

189859_17945566152_9698_n.jpg

Like Scott Theus likes this
g_gqiWVssgai November 28, 2022

You have a good thread with a useful link and informative replies

Celestine Fort December 1, 2022

Thank you for sharing this here. Many people believe only hereditary retrievers can become service dogs. But it's not like that. Any dog can pass the free service dog certification. Any trained dog owner can make it a service dog if he wants his dog to help people with special needs. I saved two mongrels and gave them a home. Of course, I cured them of lichen and parasites and provided all the necessary vaccinations. When my dogs grew up, I began to train them to help people. And my friend suggested that I make them service dogs to help people like our neighbor. He has PTSD, and it's hard for him to go out.

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events