Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Diversity's Asian-American blind spot?

Monique vdB
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
June 21, 2018

This article from the Harvard Business Review says that Asian Americans are the least likely group to be promoted into management.

This fact underlies the potential blind spot for many companies: Because Asian Americans are not considered an underrepresented minority, they are given little priority or attention in diversity programs. We have found that in many companies throughout the country, Asian-related programs are geared toward cultural inclusion, not management diversity.

I admit I'm surprised since this is definitely not the case at my company -- both our CTO and CMO are Asian men and our marketing head is an Asian woman. On the other hand, I've seen diversity programs that call out Black and Latinx people specifically, and thus exclude Asian Americans. I'm curious to hear of others' experiences and thoughts here!

1 comment

Comment

Carlos Garcia Navarro
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 6, 2024

Interesting article, thanks for sharing, @Monique vdB ! Recent companies I worked for also had strong and successful Asian-American leaders. I believe that when diverse leaders are represented at the executive level, fostering inclusion and diversity becomes a natural and ongoing process.

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events