Companies celebrating Pride Month

Mary Ramirez
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 11, 2019

More companies than ever are celebrating the LGBT community through their products, and even charitable contributions. All during the month of June you will see rainbow flags, parades and celebrations. Per usual, haters will arise and try to ruin the happiness in the air. As many of you know, a group of individuals created a "straight pride parade" in Boston. This caused fury for some, others simply ignored them. Straight pride parade organizers took to twitter to include companies in the parade. Check out Axe's response below:Screen Shot 2019-06-11 at 11.15.42 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-06-11 at 11.18.18 AM.png

Reference

I'm interested to hear your thoughts! Are any of you celebrating? I'm happy to report that the company I work for handed out cool new swag in celebration of pride month.

7 comments

Comment

Karen O'Keefe June 11, 2019

Oh for goodness sake. Isn't every parade and every month straight pride parade/month? It's the dominant culture. No one discriminates against straight people. Good on AXE to stand up against haters. Young people tend to be way more tolerant and inclusive than us old folks, so AXE is taking the right stance. 

That reminds me a couple years ago there was a white pride month at a community college where I went for a workshop. I expressed dismay with one of the administrators who said that they had just had black pride month, so it seemed only fair. I explained that white pride tends to be a white supremacy thing and so no, it's not an equal thing. He seemed surprised. I would think that a college administrator would know better.

Like # people like this
Kat Warner
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
June 12, 2019

@Karen O'Keefe The categorisation of people by melanin levels confuses me.

@Mary Ramirez  The biggest annual pride parade in NZ was affected badly by controversy this year (backstory). This event was something our right-leaning party leader and Prime Minister at the time would turn up to and pose for lots of tweets every year - a mainstream event with unhappy murmurs but no big fuss the last few years. sadly, instead of being an event about pride, things are muted this year. Faded and muted are not usually synonymous with Pride Parades.

Like # people like this
Karen O'Keefe June 12, 2019

Wow. That's a real shame. I love Auckland (and New Zealanders). I agree with you too--the fact that pigment makes a difference is really stupid. 

Fabienne Gerhard
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 12, 2019

Sad that we still need pride parades - but as I'm part of the LGBTQ community and made my own experiences with hate and intolerance and there are still many countries where it's illegal to be as you are, show your love or get married - I say thank to all supporters - not only for LGBTQ, but also for everyone different, other, old, young or whoever feels, looks or whatever is discrimnated, hated or unsupported or feels unloved. And I say thank you to everyone who is supporting!

As a big sneaker fan I'm always looking forward for the Pride Collection from the Sneaker Producers like Adidas, Nike aso :) (so many sneakers - so little money)

Maybe something according straight parade (and don't take it so seriously): Is not every traffic jam in the city just a straight parade ;)

Like # people like this
Mary Ramirez
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 12, 2019

@Fabienne Gerhard this post was originally about sneakers 😂 I also love the sneaker collaboration !

Fabienne Gerhard
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 12, 2019

😂 @Mary Ramirez - i heard (read) sneakers

giphy.gif?cid=8fc3c8975d013e3a3975354845b66fc8&rid=giphy

Like Mary Ramirez likes this
Kat Warner
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
June 18, 2019

Here is some interesting feedback to Atlassian's changing of a product logo to rainbow colours. An interesting point is made about usability - the colour of icons matter for efficient work.

Searching the word 'rainbow' will bring up other perspectives from 2013, 2017, 2018, and this year on this topic.

Like # people like this
Andy - PTC Redundant
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 18, 2019

Recently I logged into my Untappd app to post a tasty bevvie and I received this awesome Card:
Pride.jpg

You can read all about their efforts here:
Untappd - PRIDE

It also made me think about my former employer Iron Mountain who takes an important and impressive stance on all things "Pride" related:

Iron Mountain - LTGB & CSR

I also liked Google's video on their home page a few weeks ago! Nice animation.
PRIDE_3.jpg

Agree with @Karen O'Keefe 's statement.... it should be just exclusive to some gimmicky event every now and then! 
That said... it is super awesome that it gets the attention it deserves.

Jeff Guth June 19, 2019

Am thrilled with Atlassian supporting pride month!  Thank you!

Like Andy - PTC Redundant likes this
Erica Moss
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 24, 2019

I don't think New York is ever more electric than during the weeks leading up to Pride weekend — for me, it's a chance to celebrate the incredible humans in my orbit and to remind myself how much work we still need to do. I'm also proud to work for a company that supports this community and is making strides toward being more deliberate in how we celebrate. 🏳️‍🌈

Like Andy - PTC Redundant likes this
Andy - PTC Redundant
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 24, 2019

@Erica Moss isn't it just great to work for a company that is so supporting?

I am proud to say that this month TWNKLS has been bought about by PTC, a Boston based powAR house and they are very much supporting.

It's quite awesome!

https://www.ptc.com/en/product-lifecycle-report/ptc-sponsors-boston-business-journal-business-pride-event 

Like Erica Moss likes this
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events