Busted: Five Common Myths About Diversity And Inclusion In the Workplace

Jodi LeBlanc
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 28, 2019

I just read this article by Sarah Liu, busting five common myths about Diversity and Inclusion. It was the first time I had heard the term ‘Artificial harmony’. It is the idea that diverse and inclusive practices are prominent in certain sectors of an organisation or people, but are largely misunderstood by the majority. As a result, society has constructed myths around what it really means to strive for diversity and inclusion based on superficial training and discussions.

Here is the full article, would love to hear your thoughts.

https://www.entrepreneur.com/article/343003

1 comment

Comment

Kerry Wano December 4, 2019

This was a great article, and I found myself bound to some of those myths.

The biggest one I'm guilty of is the "office cultural fit" myth. The solution is something I had heard many times before, but hadn't even applied it to this bias! We must think about what people can add to the culture, not how they fit in the culture.

Like Jodi LeBlanc likes this
Jodi LeBlanc
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 4, 2019

Well said @Kerry Wano - I agree, it's all about what people can add to the culture, instead of trying to make them fit.

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events