Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Being part of the circle

Dara October 29, 2019

This weekend I cam across the following picture and I figured people here would find it interesting as well:

Inclusion.jfif

It is important to realise the difference between integration and inclusion. How do we recognise the differences in real life situations? And how can we make sure that we transition properly from one to the other?

2 comments

Comment

BiancaE
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 30, 2019

Wow, this is fascinating! Thanks for sharing @daravisuals can be so helpful some times and I know a few people I'm going to share this with :) 

I really love that at Atlassian we focus on inclusion rather than integration. I would say that inclusion is more about acknowledging and celebrating people's differences rather than not mentioning them for the sake of blending in. I've been thinking a lot about how to do this in my regular life, so I'm curious to hear what others have to say! 

Like Dara likes this
Dara November 1, 2019

Thank you @BiancaE . And good point! Acknowledgement is really important. it's attention and respect that makes us feel like a part of the group.

I think how to implement this is different per situation, right? Personally whenever I get the slight feeling someone is struggling with something I will go up and ask them if they are okay (though obviously that they don't need to tell my anything they don't want to). Or in my tabletop-gaming community: when someone doesn't show up for a couple sessions, I'll check in to see if they're busy or if there's something else. Even though they're absent, they're still part of my community.
On the more positive side, obviously: praise. At work whenever something gets fixed (I work in IT support), I'll tell whomever fixed it good job!

Dara November 1, 2019

Another picture I came across. Pretty good visual as well. What do people think about the last frame though?

Inclusion2.jfif

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events