9 Diversity And Inclusion Practices To Leave In 2019

Jodi LeBlanc
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 4, 2020

Janice Gassam explains which DEI practices need to be swapped out for new ones in the new decade:

1)Cosmetic Diversity

2)Not Reporting diverse retention

3)Reactionary DEI Trainings

4)Conflating Diversity with Inclusion

5)Not assessing DEI efforts

6)Ignoring current events that impact employees

7)Not learning from missteps of the past

8)Mandatory DEI Training

9)One-size-fits-all DEI training

Interesting read, here's the full article:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/janicegassam/2019/12/14/9-diversity-and-inclusion-practices-to-leave-in-2019/#2b31eeefbd49

1 comment

Comment

Fernando Bordallo
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 11, 2020

Reading through the article there's one point I can't really get my head around. Can you think of any examples for number 5? (assessing DEI efforts -> set markers and develop a measurement system for tracking)

Like Jodi LeBlanc likes this
Jodi LeBlanc
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 13, 2020

My friend works in HR and one of her portfolios is Diversity and Inclusion. They have so many activities and events, but are they doing these events for a specific purpose, what are they trying to achieve etc. I think that is what the author meant by "before executing any DEI program, set markers and develop a measurement system for tracking."  A bit like Deliverology - find ways to define and execute their highest-priority objectives so that they have the greatest possible impact.

Not sure if I helped or not, but that is how I interpreted number 5 in the article.

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events