Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the best practice for handling parent ticket with sub-tasks?

Kent Chiu November 5, 2017

What is the best practice to handle parent ticket with multiple sub-tasks?

I suspect that there will be multiple approaches depending on the company processes and procedures for their release cycle.

I am trying to put together a process for handling parent tickets that have multiple sub-tasks for each release cycle. However, I find that there are multiple scenarios and pros/cons.

Here is my question:

1. What should be done when a parent ticket has partially completed sub-tasks?
- e.g. 2 out of 3 sub-tasks have completed in the release cycle
- should the parent ticket left open and move to the next Sprint?

2. Should we close the parent ticket and create a new one with the open sub-tasks?
- PLM team needs to track the original story/parent ticket. By closing and recreate a new parent ticket causes a confusion and ambiguity of the story delivery.

3. What should we do with the completed sub-tasks and left over open sub-tasks?
- How should these sub-tasks be tracked for Sprint cycle/s?

There is a suggestion at our company to not close the parent ticket until all sub-tasks are completed/closed. My concerns with this approach are:

1. It will cause the confusion in the Sprint board/report as it doesn't show the sub-tasks.
2. Should we automatically move the incomplete parent ticket to the next sprint? How does JIRA track the time tracking for this parent ticket?

I would appreciate if you could share your thoughts on handling this situation.

Thank you.

Regards,

Kent

1 comment

Comment

Warren
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 6, 2017

Hi Kent

Standard Scrum (and Agile) practice is that an item is only complete once all sub-tasks are complete. Generally, a sub-task adds no value and you cannot claim any story points from it.

So ... your option 1 above is the way to go. When you close the sprint, any unfinished sub-tasks and the parent will be moved (to the backlog or the next sprint). You can then update any remaining time on the open sub-tasks. Only when ALL sub-tasks are complete can you close the parent and claim the story points. The sprint report will show the story as incomplete, which it was

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events