Multi-Tenancy within the product or different instances

Currently we are installing / evaluating Atlassian JIRA, Confluence and Bitbucket in a Data Center Version.

As we plan to use the software for different business units in our company,  an important Requirement is that the business only able to see their own data like projects or sites, so that the software is multi-tenancy-able. We've tested the permissions schemes in the software but recognized that admins are always able to see all projects. As we are planning to grant the admin permissions to a few people in the businesses for creating projects ect. this is not an acceptable way for us.

Is there any possibility to achieve a multi-tenancy within a single instance of a software?

Or do we have to install different instances for each business unit (with different databases etc.) ? And do we need to order a data center licenses for each instance or applies one data center license for different instances?

thanks in advance

1 answer

This widget could not be displayed.

Unfortunately, the Ability to create Projects is set to both the JIRA Administrators and JIRA System Administartors global permissions.  IF you give someone either of these two permissions they will be able to create projects and see all current projects. 

However this third party plugin provides a way to create project admins that will be able to create projects without being able to administrate the system.  It might help resolve your issue.

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.wittified.jira.project-creator/server/overview

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Asked Sep 17, 2018 in Data Center

Hi! I'm Cameron Deatsch, enterprise enthusiast and Head of Server at Atlassian. AMA!

Hey team! I'm Cameron Deatsch, Head of Server at Atlassian. At our European Summit just a few weeks ago, I spoke about the latest regarding our Server and Data center products and o...

46,664 views 69 13
View question

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you