Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Working with Differences- Topic Tuesday

Kaitlynn Tillett March 19, 2019

Good morning and happy topic Tuesday! 

Last week I had the pleasure of spending a week at a National Youth Leadership Training camp where we were thrown into teams of 6-7 strangers and given the materials to build and develop our team in a short period of time. One of the biggest lessons we learned was working with differences between those people or any group of people made to work as a team. Rarely will you get to choose who you're working with, so knowing how to lead and work with people from all types of backgrounds is a large factor that contributes to the success of a team. 

The main part that stuck out to me during this lesson was the acronym EAR - Express, Adress, Resolve. By expressing the issue, it removes any room for open interpretation and promotes open communication. Address the issue in a calm manner by listening to both sides and allowing each person to speak. Finally, resolve the issue by settling on middle ground or having one side change their stance. 

So, in your opinion, what is the best and most effective way you know how to work with differences among a team? 

3 comments

Comment

Kim Tillett March 20, 2019

Great question.  In my experience, keeping an open mind, being patient, and truly considering what others have to say are some of the best ways I've found to work productively as a team.

Like Jeff Tillett likes this
Jeff Tillett
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 20, 2019

In our team, we make time to schedule frequent high bandwidth conversations. Before we begin talking, we first assess ourselves via the Marcus Buckingham strengths based assessment program so that everyone can come prepared with techniques for working with different personalities. 

We then allow people a free and open space to speak clearly about their wishes independent of what their current reality is. Then, over time, we work to shift reality towards into their desired state by constantly checking in and discussing how things are going incrementally.

Great topic!

Like Roopa Raghavan likes this
Roopa Raghavan March 27, 2019

The EAR method seems realistic and implement-able. Working with differences among a team is achieved by setting a deadline for items on the list and having an open conversation and by bringing in additional people that can help by giving their opinion on the topic. Oh and it helps to keep cost of any of the options chosen in mind - helps narrow down the scope.

Like Jeff Tillett likes this
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events