constantly got logout when use two different crowd instances, e.g., prod & test

Allan Margono July 12, 2017

We have two different crowd instances, one for productiopn and one for test. Subsequently we also have prod and test version of Atlassian products, e.g., Jira, Confluence, etc and integrated with the Crowd prod and test instances respectively.

The problem was when we ran a prod and test version of Jira for example in the same browser, then we constantly got kicked out from each other.

This is not an issue when we run a prod instance not on the same browser, e.g., IE and a test instance on different browser, i.e, Chrome, etc.

Is there any session cookies setting that we can configure to allow both prod and test instance running on the same browser?

Thanks

1 answer

2 votes
Bruno Vincent
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 12, 2017

This behaviour is absolutely normal as your test environment applications set a cookie that has the exact same name as the one set by your prod instances (the default Crowd SSO cookie name is crowd.token_key).

On your test instance of Crowd, go to your crowd.home directory (the one you configured in crowd-init.properties when installing the product), edit the crowd.properties file and set the following value:

cookie.tokenkey=crowd.token_key_test

That should do the job. If this still does not work you might also need to add that very property to each of your applications' crowd.properties file.

Hi Bruno,

Thanks for the reply, unfortunately it didn't work.

Should I restart the Crowd test instance?

As for the other alternative to add for each applications' crowd.properties file which for sure it requires a restart, since the file is located in the <INSTALL_DIR> not the <APP_HOME_DIR>.

Another question: is the following format correct?

cookie.tokenkey=crowd.token_key_test

OR

it should be:

cookie.tokenkey                    crowd.token_key_test

Here is an example of the app's crowd property file:

session.tokenkey                        session.tokenkey

Should I replace the above with something like:

session.tokenkey                        session.tokenkey_test??

Bruno Vincent
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 12, 2017

You actually do need to restart Crowd once you've edited the cookie.tokenkey property.

As crowd.properties is a standard Java Properties file, both formats are accepted but I guess you should use the equal character so as to remain consistent with the rest of the file.

Do not touch the session.tokenkey property, it's all about the cookie.tokenkey property here.

Allan Margono July 28, 2017

Hi Bruno,

Here is an update.

I have put the suggested change on both Crowd and the application itself and restarted. Unforunately it didn't work.

Is there anything else that I need to configure?

Note:

Used different browsers worked for each instances. 

Bruno Vincent
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 29, 2017

Hi Allan,

It should work out of the box.

You might want to take a look at Atlassian documentation: https://confluence.atlassian.com/crowd/the-crowd-properties-file-98665664.html

My guess is that you might have edited the wrong crowd.properties file on your Crowd instance (the right one is in your crowd.home directory).

I suggest that you raise a support ticket if it still does not work.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events