Unable to configure Crowd to run as a service on Tomcat

roopa shinde June 25, 2012

i am unable to configure CROWD as a windows server. i find the below error upon running the service.bat command

D:\programs\atlassian-crowd-2.4.0\apache-tomcat\bin>service.bat install Crowd

Installing the service 'Crowd' ...

Using CATALINA_HOME: "D:\programs\atlassian-crowd-2.4.0\apache-tomcat"

Using CATALINA_BASE: "D:\programs\atlassian-crowd-2.4.0\apache-tomcat"

Using JAVA_HOME: "C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.6.0_30"

Using JVM: "C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.6.0_30\jre\bin\server\jvm.dll"

Failed installing 'Crowd' service

D:\programs\atlassian-crowd-2.4.0\apache-tomcat\bin>echo %JAVA_HOME%

C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.6.0_30

D:\programs\atlassian-crowd-2.4.0\apache-tomcat\bin>net start crowd

The Apache Tomcat crowd service is starting.

The Apache Tomcat crowd service could not be started.

A service specific error occurred: 0.

any pointers in this regards would help me

5 answers

0 votes
Jared Dohrman May 4, 2015

Hi all,

Open up RegEdit and browse to the service.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Apache Software Foundation\Procrun 2.0\Crowd\Parameters\Java

Under the Jvm REG_SZ, there is a reference to C:\Progra~1\Java\..., replace with the full path. C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\...

This worked for me

(Sorry, old thread, but even today still getting this result in Google search, so figured I'd add my 2cents)

Thanks,
Jared. 

0 votes
Colin Goudie
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 26, 2012

By the look of that error it could be because of spaces in the PATH. i.e. C:\Program Files

As a tip when working with Windows Servers and Java tools (and most tools in general) NEVER EVER install things in directories with spaces. e.g. never in C:\Program Files

Unless the developers have been ultra careful with their .bat files you'll run into endless issues like this.

0 votes
V June 25, 2012

Is it a 32 bit / 64 bit machine??

On 64 bit machine u cannot install crowd as service

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/CROWD020/Installing+Crowd+as+a+Windows+Service

Colin Goudie
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 25, 2012

You shoud be able to, but you need to swap out the tomcat6.exe and tomcat6w.exe (which are 32bit) with the 64bit ones. You can download these from Apache Tomcat website

roopa shinde June 26, 2012

hi,

i have installed 32 bit jdk ,but the issue still persists.

i see this in the tomcat log file:

[2012-06-27 16:04:36] [error] %1 is not a valid Win32 application.
[2012-06-27 16:04:36] [error] Failed creating java C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.6.0_30\jre\bin\server\jvm.dll
[2012-06-27 16:04:36] [error] ServiceStart returned 1

0 votes
Colin Goudie
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 25, 2012

Are you using a 64bit JVM? I think the tomcat service files in crowd are by default the 32bit ones.

Check this link out for info. It might help

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRAKB/Problems+Installing+JIRA+as+a+Service+on+Windows+64bit

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events