Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

System administrator vs Admin

Aivo Kuhlberg May 19, 2015

In latest Crowd I noticed that Crowd application groups tab shows 2 options for groups: 'System administrator' and 'Admin'. Is there any information what these two options do?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Caspar Krieger
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 19, 2015

There's no differentiation in Crowd the product (yet), and connected applications do not use this information (yet). Plugins to Crowd are free to use the information, though I'm not aware of any that do.

They're only exposed because Crowd is also used in Atlassian Cloud (our Saas offering), and the concept is meaningful there: we're cleaning up the administration story for connected Atlassian products and it's likely those enhancements will make their way to our Server offerings too (aka traditional behind the firewall installs). Of course, we'll do our best to avoid any lockouts when/if that happens.

James Brown October 27, 2016

Is this still the same or has this changed.  I would like to have a crowd admin group that can manage users that are added to a crowd group (not AD group) and then an AD group that has full system admin.  Any advice?

Caspar Krieger
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 27, 2016

I'm no longer on the Crowd team so I don't have good knowledge of what their plans are, but last I checked there was still no meaning assigned to sysadmin vs site admin in Crowd.

lpater
Atlassian Team
October 27, 2016

Hey James,

The sysadmin functionality hasn't changed, and it's still as Casper outlined above.

The feature you describe sounds more like group level admin permissions, with different groups having permission to administer different parts of the application. The feature request is tracked as https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CWD-2318. Please have a look at it, and leave a comment with your specific use case if it's not mentioned there yet.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events