Server Capacity required for Crowd installation on separate server

Geoff Farnsworth November 19, 2017

Planning to install crowd on a separate server. What would be the required

CPU

RAM

Database capacity for the crowd installation.

Similar to following

https://confluence.atlassian.com/doc/server-hardware-requirements-guide-30736403.html

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
AnnWorley
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 22, 2017

Ayesha and Geoff, I also could not find the Crowd server hardware requirements. With 50 users, I would expect you to be able to run Crowd on the Confluence minimum required hardware:

CPU: Quad core 2GHz+ CPU
RAM: 6GB
Minimum database space: 10GB

Disk space will not grow much as Crowd doesn't store any attachments on the file system like Confluence does. My local installation of Crowd takes less than 300mb disk.

I opened a request for our technical writers to post a page for Crowd like: Server Hardware Requirements Guide.

Here is the request, in case you want to comment or vote on it: Crowd Server hardware requirements guide is needed

Sebastian Schmidt March 11, 2022

@AnnWorley Im sad to see that an idea in your on team, which is basic in every other product isnt worked on, even after 5 years.

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 19, 2017

Crowd is a lightweight compared with Jira and Confluence, you'll probably struggle to buy a server that can't handle it nowadays.

I know of one running on a raspberry pi with 1 Gb Ram, for a small site with only 20 users.  It seems fine to us, although the pi is running only a cut-down OS, Crowd, some basic monitoring and a backup routine.

For a bigger site, Crowd runs fine in the default 512Mb, and the database can also be relatively small - I doubt you'll hit a Gb of disk space even when you've got thousands of users.

Ayesha Karunaratne November 19, 2017

I am looking for an Atlassian recommended Server Capacity for crowd installation for an approximate 50 user site. Thank you.

Sebastian Schmidt March 11, 2022

@Nic Brough -Adaptavist- Hey Nic, do you have by any chance, information for a sizing of 1000 users and over that to share?

Like Deleted user likes this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 11, 2022

Well, actually, that Raspberry Pi I mentioned 5 years ago is now handling 2,500 users, serving as the directory for a near complete server stack of Atlassian services.

Like # people like this
Sebastian Schmidt March 15, 2022

@Nic Brough -Adaptavist- Can i assume your PI is a new one with 4GB RAM and 4+ cores?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 15, 2022

Originally, it was a Pi3, but that was running hot.  It is now a Pi4 with 2Gb RAM.  I'd still not recommend a Pi for this, it should be a proper server, but it doesn't need to be hugely powerful.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events