Migrating local “Confluence, JIRA and Bitbucket” group to CROWD

Brian Grasso September 21, 2017

I've successfully installed “Crowd” on our program server, I'm now attempting to configure “Confluence, JIRA and Bitbucket” to use Crowd for all our User Management.

My issues is (all my local account and permission need to be migrated into my new Crowd gropus). How do I merge my local “Confluence, JIRA and Bitbucket” user account into Crowd to allow Crowd to preform all our User Management.

Where I'm at now, I create an account on Crowd and my new account appears on all my other environments “Confluence, JIRA and Bitbucket” , however when I login on “Confluence, JIRA or Bitbucket” none of my local permissions or groups are visible by the newly created Crowd user ?

I assume I need to somehow merge all my local groups to my new created groups in crowd ?

1 answer

0 votes
AnnWorley
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 21, 2017

There is a handy import utility in Crowd that works for Jira and Confluence:

I am looking into the options for Bitbucket, too, but wanted to get back to you on Jira and Confluence while I research Bitbucket.

Please stay tuned. :)

AnnWorley
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 25, 2017

I checked with the Bitbucket support team and they let me know there is no process defined for moving Bitbucket users to Crowd.

Is it possible that you can use a group defined in the Jira or Confluence directory to grant access to Bitbucket? Please see: Specifying which Groups can access an Application

If the permissions groups exist in Crowd they should be visible in Bitbucket as well, as long as the Crowd User Directory is highest in the User Directories list in Bitbucket. As mentioned in Connecting Bitbucket Server to Crowd:

The directory order has the following effects:

• The order of the directories is the order in which they will be searched for users and groups.
  • Changes to users and groups will be made only in the first directory where the application has permission to make changes. 
Brian Grasso September 26, 2017

The migration of Confluence & JIRA work like a champ.

One thing to note: If your using PostgresSQL you'll need to modify the pg_hba.conf file to allow connection from the crowd server, the connection will be as follows:

Atlassian product ---> Confluence or JIRA
Directory -----------> confluence or JIRA
Import passwords ----> yes
Product database ----> jdbc:postgresql://<ipaddress>:5432/<DB>
Database driver -----> org.postgresql.Driver
Username ------------> <database user>
Password ------------> <database passwd>

Thanks...

AnnWorley
Atlassian Team
September 26, 2017

Thank you for circling back to let us know how you got the migration to work.

Do you have a strategy for the Bitbucket users? Are the Bitbucket users also in the Confluence and Jira directories? If so you could map the Confluence or Jira directory to the Bitbucket application, then limit access to Bitbucket to a group within that directory, as described in: Specifying which Groups can access an Application

Brian Grasso September 26, 2017

Yep my Bitbucket users are also Confluence & JIRA users, so that will require mapping manually

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events