Log an applications usage of Crowd

Deleted user February 11, 2014

We have just created a new "Generic" application in Crowd and would like to monitor its interaction with the server/api.

Is it possible to log the activity of an individual application? If so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Deleted user February 13, 2014

Based on Caspar's comment, there appears to be no native way to achieve the goal.

For the purpose of testing, I have configured Access Logging in Tomcat for the crowd context in our test instance as follows:

1. Stop Crowd
  2. Modify {crowd-install}\apache-tomcat\conf\Catalina\localhost\crowd.xml and add the following element before the </Context> element:

&lt;Valve
        className="org.apache.catalina.valves.AccessLogValve"
        directory="${catalina.base}/logs"
        prefix="access_log."
        fileDateFormat="yyyy-MM-dd"
        suffix=".log"
        pattern="%a %{Authorization}i %t &amp;quot;%m %U%q %H&amp;quot; %s %b %D &amp;quot;%{Referer}i&amp;quot; &amp;quot;%{User-Agent}i&amp;quot;"
       /&gt;
  3. Start Crowd

This generates an access log file (one per day) in {crowd-install}\apache-tomcat\logs which can be interrogated to evaluate the interactions of an application with Crowd.

NB:

• This has been seen to work with Atlassian Crowd 2.7.x and 2.8.x - though there are no guarantees/warranties for its impact - use at your own discretion.
  • The access log will include all interactions with Crowd, including those from the Console itself and any configured applications, e.g. JIRA and Confluence, therefore the access log files can grow rather quickly :)

Martin Cleaver
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 17, 2015

Ian - does this log the IP address of the application and the originating web browser of the user? Thx, M.

Deleted user May 17, 2015

@Martin Cleaver [Blended Perspectives] - yes the log file should contain the following information * %a - Remote IP address * %{Authorization}I - the value of the value of incoming header with name _Authorisation_ * %t - the timestamp for the request * %m - Request method (GET, POST, etc.) * %U - Requested URL path * %q - Query string (prepended with a '?' if it exists) * %H - Request protocol * %s - HTTP status code of the response * %b - Bytes sent, excluding HTTP headers, or '-' if zero * %D - Time taken to process the request, in millis * %{Referer}i - the value of the value of incoming header with name _Referer_ * %{User-Agent}i - the value of the value of incoming header with name _User-Agent_ The actual output is configurable - for more information see [http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-7.0-doc/config/valve.html#Access_Log_Valve]

0 votes
Caspar Krieger
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 12, 2014

Crowd has a few logging settings which you can turn on from the settings section of the administration console, but no generalised "show me what an application is doing" feature.

Please vote on CWD-2086 and/or CWD-538 if you'd like to see this feature added.

Deleted user February 13, 2014

Hi Caspar

Thanks for the pointers - I'll take and look and vote on the issues if they're appropriate!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events