Is "Identity Manager for Cloud" the same as Crowd for server?

Johannes Buverud
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 20, 2017

In the US Summit, Atlassian introduced "Identity Manager for Atlassian Cloud":

https://www.atlassian.com/enterprise/cloud/identity-manager

Is this basically the same as Crowd for server?

https://www.atlassian.com/software/crowd

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 21, 2017

No, it's separate.  As Cloud and Server diverge, their requirements for user management are changing, and Cloud is moving away from Crowd.

Johannes Buverud
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 21, 2017

Hi Nic and thanks for your reply,

Are you saying that Crowd used to be available for Cloud?

It is only possible to buy it for Server, so I thought it was purely for Server.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 21, 2017

Cloud used to use a version of it, but it was never a product to buy, just used internally to Cloud.

Johannes Buverud
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 21, 2017

Ok, thanks for the clarification.

But what are the basic differences between the two? They are both SSO-tools, right?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 21, 2017

No, they're both identity management tools.  SSO is an afterthought for them to be frank - it wasn't even in the first version of Crowd.   Crowd is for managing people and groups in directories, external and internal to itself.  Identity manager is not about directories, it's about direct identities - Atlassian accounts for example.

Johannes Buverud
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 21, 2017

I see.

Coming from the Remedy world, I miss (in Jira/Service Desk) the wide options of attributes stored on a user, readily available when working eg with incidents.

We are looking on using the Insight plugin for these extended attributes, but maybe Crowd is an option?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 21, 2017

I think I'd stick with Insight.  Crowd doesn't do them really.

Johannes Buverud
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 21, 2017

Ok, thanks for your help!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events