Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installation support - before you can get SERVERID to generate License/SEN

Jason Fuller December 26, 2016

I'm trying to install Crowd.  There's an error before I can complete the wizard, and hence can't get my ServerID to generate the eval license, and then the SEN - to create a support ticket. 

What to do?

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 26, 2016

Fix the error!  What is it?

Lol fair enough...  Start script says tomcat started, but netstat shows no port open. Can't localhost:8095.  CentOS7/openjdk1.8/mysql 

(apologies on brevity- on ios atm)

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 26, 2016

Yeah, phones aren't great for typing wink

Have a read of the log files, they should tell you what's going wrong.  Start with <crowd data>/logs/atlassian-crowd.log as that should tell you if there are application errors killing it.  Then <crowd install>/apache-tomcat/logs/catalina.out - that's the Tomcat log which will tell you why it can't start the application (there will be an empty or missing atlassian-crowd.log if that's the case)

Hi Nic,

I can't find any log files.

INSTALL DIR is /opt/atlassian/crowd

HOME directory is /var/crowd-home -> it is empty

-rwxr--r--.  1 root root    70 Sep 13 15:35 start_crowd.sh

[root@crowdserver crowd]# ./start_crowd.sh 
Using CATALINA_BASE: /opt/atlassian/crowd/apache-tomcat
Using CATALINA_HOME: /opt/atlassian/crowd/apache-tomcat
Using CATALINA_TMPDIR: /opt/atlassian/crowd/apache-tomcat/temp
Using JRE_HOME: /usr/bin
Using CLASSPATH: /opt/atlassian/crowd/apache-tomcat/bin/bootstrap.jar:/opt/atlassian/crowd/apache-tomcat/bin/tomcat-juli.jar
Using CATALINA_PID: /opt/atlassian/crowd/apache-tomcat/work/catalina.pid
Existing PID file found during start.
Removing/clearing stale PID file.
Tomcat started.
[root@crowdserver crowd]#

----

SELinux is disabled, firewalld is disabled

I can't find any log created by tomcat - either 'catalina' or 'tomcat' and crowd-home is empty

Ideas?

Might it be related to a Java problem?  Centos8 comes with OpenJDK1.8 which is on the supported list, and there is a symlink to /etc/aternatives/java in the /usr/bin, so nothing extra in the path needs to be setup.  I did add "export JAVA_HOME=/usr/bin" to the /etc/profile and 

env shows JAVA_HOME correctly.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 27, 2016

If crowd-home is empty, it's not even starting Crowd, so it must be Tomcat not even getting that far.  Without a catalina.out log file though, I'm stumped - Tomcat always logs something for startup, so I don't know where any output might be going.

I'd be tempted to use brute force - go to the installation and do something like: find -type f -exec grep  -H "Tomcat started" {} \;

That should at least find you the tomcat log.

Jason Fuller December 27, 2016

Hi Nic, thanks for your suggestions. 

Found tomcat log - it was showing this error:

/opt/atlassian/crowd/apache-tomcat/bin/catalina.sh: line 396: /usr/bin/bin/java: No such file or directory

given above that I set the JAVA_HOME to /usr/bin - which is where the symlink is actually at... 

I changed in the /etc/profile to just JAVA_HOME=/usr, and now it works and starts

Is this normal behaviour, to set the JAVA_HOME to the root, and not the actual directory?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 27, 2016

Java home should set to where java is actually installed.  For example /usr/share/java_1.8_102 - under there, there should be a /bin directory where all the java executables live.  You should be able to work that out by looking at /usr/bin/java* - you should find they are symbolic links to the actual java installation.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events