cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Importing Users from another Crowd Directory

Mircea Marin
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 16, 2014

Hi,

I am trying to import the existing users from an old Crowd directory into a new one but I keep getting the following error: User Encryption Algorithms must match between directories

What I did is as follows:

1. In old Crowd (2.7.1) I added a new Generic Application (to allow the new Crowd Server to connect)
  2. In the new Crowd (2.7.2) I added a new Remote Crowd directory (LEGACY Users)
  3. In the new Crowd I can see all the users I need in the "Legacy Users" directory
  4. In the new Crowd, went to users -> Import Users -> Directory Importer
  5. Chose "Legacy Users" as source and the internal directory as Destination
  6. Clicked Continue and I got the error from above.

Can anyone please tell me what I am doing wrong?

Thank you!

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Caspar Krieger
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 17, 2014

To expand on Tiago's answer, you won't be able to import from a remote crowd directory to an internal directory because there's no way to get the passwords from the Remote Crowd directory. Crowd uses the Crowd REST APIs to get the users from the remote Crowd dir ("legacy users" dir in your case), but the password is not available through the rest APIs. So that's why you get the error about encryption algorithms needing to match - the remote crowd directory doesn't have an encryption algorithm because the passwords are always left in the remote crowd instance.

Mircea Marin
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 17, 2014
Thanks Caspar. I finally used a CSV export directly from the Database of the legacy system (as per the following link: https://confluence.atlassian.com/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=442271568) and then used the CSV import option and that worked out fine.
0 votes
Tiago Comasseto
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 16, 2014

Hi Mircea, this is related to the Password Encryption algorithms that is defined in the directories, both directories need to have the same algorithm, otherwise the import won't work.

You can check the algorithm of your directories with the following query:

SELECT attribute_value FROM cwd_directory_attribute where attribute_name='user_encryption_method' and directory_id='XXXXXX';

I hope it helps.

Cheers

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events