Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to stop OpenLDAP directory from synchronizing?

Tayyab Bashir
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 1, 2017

Hi,

I have an OpenLdap directory which syncs the users whenever I make any change in user/class filters. 

Lately, I've been testing a bit more with the OpenLDAP directory and whenever I make a change in the userFilter, the directory starts to sync automatically.
This is something that I want.

But I want to know how to stop the directory from syncronising once it has begun? 
The total time to sync is about 50-60 minutes for my JIRA server, so lets say I wanted to stop the current sync because I want to make some changes that I forgot? 
How do I do that?
Because waiting for directory to syncronize completely takes just too much of time. 

1 answer

0 votes
somethingblue
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 5, 2017

Hi Muhammad,

In order to stop the sync you would need to take the directory offline. Here is how that would have to work:

1. Stop CROWD
  2. Disable the LDAP directory in the database
  3. Restart CROWD
  4. Make your changes in the third party LDAP server
  5. Stop CROWD
  6. Re-enable the LDAP directory in the database
  7. Restart CROWD

The issue you'll run into is that as long as the third party directory is enabled in CROWD it will attempt to sync.

As you can see that is less than ideal.  I can see the benefit of that feature though.  I would recommend you go to JAC and create a ticket so our developers can consider adding in the future.  Hopefully this helps!

Cheers,

Branden

Richard Cross November 1, 2019

This is incredibly frustrating as the sync begins automatically before you've finished configuring things like group filter.  On a large LDAP or AD system (the one I'm working with contains 250,000 users and 118,366 groups) this means you have to wait hours for the first full sync to complete, where it queries every user and group in the directory... and then once that's finished... several more hours while it syncs again to remove the redundant directories from Crowd.

It's an atrocious design - the sync should not begin until the Crowd Admin pushes a button!

Like # people like this
Ian Benson March 15, 2023

....and still the same today. I'm in exactly the same situation 4 years later.

Like Elesha Kizer likes this
Therese Hedberg May 9, 2023

Just ran into this problem.. Can it be prevented if the directory is marked as Inactive while it is set up maybe?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events