Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I get Crowd to start automatically at startup on Ubuntu?

Jeffrey Lee June 21, 2013

I've tried this page in particular: https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/CROWD/Setting+Crowd+to+Run+Automatically+and+Use+an+Unprivileged+System+User+on+UNIX

However, this didn't work. The latest thing I've done is to create a script in etc/init.d that simply has:

exec sudo -u crowd /opt/atlassian/crowd/start_crowd.sh

I've then done update-rc.d crowd defaults

However, the script is not run on startup.

What am I doing wrong here?

5 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Jeffrey Lee February 4, 2014

I have it working now. Part of this is that I've been working on startup scripts for a couple of different applications and server and so now feel a bit more comfortable with using them.

Primarily, follow the steps here: https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/CROWD/Setting+Crowd+to+Run+Automatically+and+Use+an+Unprivileged+System+User+on+UNIX

Make sure you do the change permissions step.

After you've created the symlink to the crowd script you created from the example (and make sure that the script is executable chmod a+x /path/to/scriptname), run update-rc.d defaults. This will will create links in all of the various run levels which will enable your linux instance to manage shutdowns, startups, restarts, and the like, properly.

This should all work now.

Susan Seidlitz April 7, 2020

Does not work on Ubuntu 18.04 and Crowd 4.0.0

1 vote
Adam Thurlow December 12, 2013

Here's a quick fix. Add the following to the crontab of the user with which you run crowd (<USER>). This assumes crowd is installed in /opt/atlassian/crowd/

sudo crontab -e -u <USER>
@reboot /opt/atlassian/crowd/start_crowd.sh

1 vote
Bruna Griebeler
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 24, 2013

Hi Jeffrey!

As an alternative, I suggest you do do the following:

1) Edit your /etc/bash.bashrc
2) In the last line add the following lines:
<Crowd-Install>/start_crowd.sh

Where <Crowd-Install> should be changed by the full path to the start_crowd.sh file.

However is important to mentioned that, in this case, you crowd will start as root.
If you want to run it as another user, you may use put the following line on the last line of the file (/etc/bash.bashrc):
su - <youruser> -c "<Crowd-Install>/start_crowd.sh"

Hope it helps!!

Jeffrey Lee July 10, 2013

Won't this only launch crowd when the shell starts? I've been using the etc/init.d directory to manage startup scripts.

0 votes
Jeffrey Lee July 17, 2013

It looks as if the script isn't starting correctly, even if run by root, so I'll have to dig farther into it.

0 votes
Jeffrey Lee July 10, 2013

I've been working with Atlassian support and we've sort of run to the end of possibilities. I have a startup script that runs fine when I launch it manually. Crowd starts up. It is set to run as a dedicated user.

However, when the script is launced during startup, it seems to start, but then switches to shutdown. I'm not at all sure why.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events