Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I fault find a Crowd AD LDAP connectivity issue in a demo environment?

Chris Nicholls November 23, 2017

I've created a demo environment which includes a new Active Directory domain on a new forest root, a Jira demo installation and a Crowd server (demo license) on a CentOS machine. These are all fresh and the account I'm using is an Enterprise Admin (crowdsync).

All firewalls have been disabled and they are on the same subnet.

When I try to do a test connection on the AD directory config under Crowd I either get a genuine LDAP error if I set the OU 'Users' to 'cn=Users' (code 49, data 52e) which suggests my credentials are incorrect or I get a 'Test failed popup with no details. I know the ou should be set to ou so I'm leaving that. I've also tried 'crowdsync@demo.local' which I know is wrong but I thought I'd check.

My settings are:

URL - ldap://demo.local:389

'Enable incremental sync' checked

Base DN - dc=demo,dc=local

Username - cn=crowdsync,ou=Users,dn=demo,dn=local

I've reset the password and tested it. I've also confirmed I can authenticate to the domain from the CentOS Crowd host.

My plan is to test the Jira Crowd integration so I can assist our third party in configuring this in our Azure environment.

Help :)

1 answer

0 votes
Bruno Vincent
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 23, 2017

The username does not seem to be valid.

If the Base DN of your AD is 'DC=demo,DC=local', then the username's DN is probably 'CN=crowdsync,CN=Users,DC=demo,DC=local'

Check the username's distinguishedName attribute in the Attribute Editor on AD (please follow these instructions if you do not see the Attribute Editor: http://activedirectoryfaq.com/2014/10/ad-attribute-editor-missing-make-search-visible/)

Hi Bruno, Thanks for the prompt reply.

I did try this but this is results in the LDAP error code 49, data 52e mentioned above. This suggests that the password or username are incorrect but these have been validated by connecting to the same DC from CentOS by mapping a drive.

Bruno Vincent
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 23, 2017

Try to run a simple ldapsearch command in a shell on your CentOS machine and let's see what you get:

ldapsearch -x -h demo.local -p 389 -s one -b "CN=crowdsync,CN=Users,DC=demo,DC=local" -D "CN=crowdsync,CN=Users,DC=demo,DC=local" -W "(objectclass=*)"

com.atlassian.crowd.exception.OperationFailedException: [LDAP: error code 49 - 80090308: LdapErr: DSID-0C0903D3, comment: AcceptSecurityContext error, data 52e, v3839

I don't have OpenLDAP installed so I don;t have the tool. I will try and install it to test.

Bruno Vincent
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 23, 2017

I'm pretty sure that your issue has nothing do to with Crowd itself. That's why I want to test a pure LDAP request to AD. You don't need to install the whole OpenLDAP suite.

yum install openldap-clients

should be enough

Thanks Bruno. I did try that earlier but Yum does not have access out yet. I've configured the Yum proxy settings but we have a complicated network :(.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events