Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I auto assign groups based on a registered user's domain in Crowd (or Confluence)?

Geert Graat
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 21, 2013

Hi,

We use Confluence & Crowd for our community. Users can register through Confluence in the Crowd directory. When the user authenticates through the Crowd directory, Crowd automatically adds a number of groups to the user, which allows the access general parts of our community. So far so good.

Now when a user registers that is an employee of one of our partners, this user is assigned a specific group which allows the user to access the partner specific part of our community. This is currently a manual action, based on the email address of the user that signed up.

I am looking for a way to automate this. Ideally I would like to define a rule or something in Crowd, that would say something like 'if a user with email domain X authenticates for the first time than automatically add group Y'. Optionally you could do this in Confluence.

I have seen this working on some sites that use Confluence, so maybe there is a plugin for this? I have not been able found it so far. Any help is appreciated.

Regards,

Geert

6 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Geert Graat
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 31, 2013

There does not seem to be a way to resolve this currently. I posted a feature request on the Crowd support site: https://support.atlassian.com/browse/CWDSUP-8088. I will update here when I hear back from them.

Geert

1 vote
Tiago Comasseto
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 24, 2013

Hi Geert,

There isn't such option in Crowd and there isn't any plugin available either. If those users are coming from an LDAP, the best option in this case is associated the users to the groups directly on the LDAP.

Another option can be create two directories, define different default groups to each directory and set a filter in each one to synchronize only the users that match a given email domain. Example: (&(objectClass=person)(sAMAccountName=*)(mail=*@domain_a.com))

I hope this helps.

Cheers

Geert Graat July 24, 2013

Hi Tiago,

Unfortunately the users are registered in a Crowd internal directory and not LDAP, so this will not work in my situation.

Geert

0 votes
Stefan Broda
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 19, 2014

OK, I'll keep digging. thanks for the quick reply!

0 votes
Geert Graat
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 15, 2014

Hi Stefan, unfortunately not. We still manually add groups to users.

0 votes
Stefan Broda
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 15, 2014

Hi Geert, Have you found any good solution to your requirement?

0 votes
BernardoA
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 22, 2013

I didn' find any external plugin for this case, but I think you can have something similar as Confluence going to Crowd > Directories Tab > select such directory > finally click at Options tab, then when user in this directory authenticates successfully for the first time, they can be automatically added as members of such group created.

Bernardo

Geert Graat July 22, 2013

Hi Bernardo, thanks for your answer. What you describe is what is already in place. However, this happens for every user. I want to automatically add groups for specific users, based on the domain they belong to.

Geert

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events