Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How Can I Create A User In Confluence When Using A Crowd Directory With A Password Policy?

Dalectric
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 26, 2017

I am running JIRA 7.2.3, Confluence 5.10.7 and using Crowd 2.11.1 as the user directory.

In Crowd I have configured a password policy using Regex.

Because Crowd doesn't send emails to new users when I create them I need to use Confluence to send an email to the new user with a link to set their password.

However if I try to create the user in Confluence I get the following error in the Confluence log file.

2017-04-19 14:40:42,155 ERROR [http-nio-8090-exec-9] [confluence.user.actions.CreateUserAction] execute Failed to create user: mynewusername
{{ – referer: https://confluence.denso-sales.co.uk/admin/users/createuser.action | url: /admin/users/docreateuser.action | traceId: 11314af20408f9ca | userName: myusername | action: docreateuser}}
com.atlassian.core.exception.InfrastructureException: com.atlassian.user.security.authentication.InvalidPasswordException: com.atlassian.crowd.exception.InvalidCredentialException: The new password does not meet the directory complexity requirements: At least 12 characters long, and must contain 1 upper case letter, 1 lower case letter, 1 number

To get around this I have to remove the entry in the Regex field in Crowd which allows me to create the user, and then put back the regex in the Crowd field.

Is there a way around this?

What's annoying is that JIRA works completely fine with the regex field filled in Crowd. One of the many inconsistencies I find when adminsitrating these 3 tools.

3 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Monique Khairuliana
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 28, 2017

This issue is caused by the following newly discovered bug:

1 vote
AnnWorley
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 27, 2017

I tested with Confluence 5.10.7 and Crowd 2.11.1, trying to reproduce the issue. I was able to create the user in Confluence (in the Crowd read/write directory). After I created the user the email was sent and would only allow the password to be created in compliance with the password policy from Crowd.

A deeper look into your logs and configuration files may be a good idea. I would be happy to open a support case on your behalf, or you may open it at https://getsupport.atlassian.com.

Dalectric
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 28, 2017

Thanks, I'll test with SSO enabled and see if that fixes it for me.

If not I'll raise a support request.

1 vote
Lars Olav Velle
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 26, 2017

Confluence does not offer a password policy out of the box.

Here is what Atlassian says.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/confkb/how-do-i-enforce-password-complexity-in-confluence-346947947.html

Dalectric
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 28, 2017

Maybe I need to enable the SSO for Confluence then, I'll give that a try

Dalectric
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 28, 2017

Enabled SSO in seraph-config did not fix this, but thanks for pointing me to this information.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events