Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Demanding open source crowd licence

ryskajakub July 14, 2014

Hi,

I would like to use crowd for my project and I can release all the code as open-source. The open-source licence form says:

Atlassian's software is accessible to the public.

What does it mean in the context of crowd? Yes, the server will run a public ip, but only thing that the general public will see is the login screen.

Thanks for answering,

Jakub

1 answer

1 vote
Caspar Krieger
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 14, 2014

Speaking as a Crowd developer (i.e. I know a fair bit about Crowd, but I won't be the one clicking the approve button at all): I would guess that as long as Crowd will be connected to JIRA/Confluence/etc instances which are public, it should be fine.

My guess is that requirement is primarily in place to prevent an organisation releasing some software as open source and using that as an excuse to get free Atlassian licenses. If the request doesn't get approved, feel free to comment here and I'll see what I can do regarding chasing it up.

ryskajakub July 14, 2014

Thanks for answering, in our case, there is probably not going to be no other atlassian product involved, the server instances are a wordpress website and discourse forum. So if the discourse forum will enable registrations, then as I understood from your post, we should get the licence.

Caspar Krieger
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 15, 2014

I would say that's a hard call. One of the direct benefits to Atlassian for providing open source licenses is the free marketing that results from users of the open source products becoming familiar with the Atlassian brand. In this case, that seems unlikely to happen, but then again, you may as well apply and see what happens.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events