Crowd not sending emails over SMTP or JNDI - Invalid HELO Name

Joshua Bayfield April 4, 2015

Hello everyone,

I've been trying to get Crowd to send emails recently, and neither SMTP or JNDI is working.

Consistently there is an 'Invalid HELO Name' error, and I can't seem to find where the HELO name is defined. Any ideas how I can resolve that?

Thank you!

Josh

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 5, 2015

Usually means the name of the email server you have defined is wrong and hence cannot be reached by the client.  Or your mail server is configured with a name that is wrong for the server.

0 votes
rrudnicki
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 17, 2015

Hi, 

Yes, for some reason your server isn't being able to authenticate on the address. To make sure where is the problem (port number, email, password) you can test this by command line:

telnet <email-server> <port-number>

AUTH LOGIN

HELO <YOUR-DOMAIN>

mail from: <your-email>

rcpt to: <destination-email>

data

quit

Hope this helps.

Renato Rudnicki

0 votes
Radu Dumitriu
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 5, 2015

Invalid HELO name usually comes because SMTP *requires* AUTH. Check your config & see RFC2821 4.1.1.1: https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2821#section-4.1.1.1

Joshua Bayfield April 6, 2015

The SMTP server definitely requires auth, and I've declared it as so. Still no dice.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events