Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crowd migration to the new server but staying with existing database

Matus Turcin November 26, 2012

Hello,

we are migrating crowd to the new server, but we would like to keep existing database with existing data. Problem is that while setting up Crowd on the new server according to steps described on the page https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/CROWD020/Running+the+Setup+Wizard on the step 3 we get error "Database contains existing data" and cannot continue to finish the installation.

I would like to ask what is the standard way to migrate crowd to the new server but keep existing database connection. Or is it necessary to export data from the database to xml file, then overwrie data during Crowd setup on the new server and import data back to the database?

Thank you

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Ivan Maduro
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 26, 2012

Hi Mato,

Yes we definitely recommend using the XML backup to store and restore your user Data when moving between servers. This will allow Crowd to properly set up everything for the new server/location then import the data over it.

We have a guide about this - Migrating Crowd between Servers which goes into more detail about migrating Crowd Data. As there are a few steps to take before making the backup.

Cheers,

Ivan.

Matus Turcin November 26, 2012

Hi Ivan,

thanks for quick response.

Regards,

Mato

Chris Gruszka October 13, 2015

Unfortunately, https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/CROWD/Migrating+Crowd+Between+Servers does not describe using the XML backup to store and restore your user Data when moving between servers.

0 votes
Naveed Anjum May 23, 2013

Hi Ivan,

My database server has been crashed, and i didn’t get chance to backup my data as xml backup, but fortunately i was able to get backup of my JIRA database.

I restored my database on a different server and connection made was successful as done by "JIRA Configuration Tool".

JIRA started but asking me to create new admin.

After doing so, when i logged in by new admin it shows me no existing users, no issues and nothing although data is present in database. Also my database schema is same "dbo" as it was before.

Can please guide how to connect existing database without xml backup.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events