Crowd advice?

Warren McInnes
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 27, 2014

Hi guys,

I couldn't find this in the Crowd documentation, hence I am here....

Scenario:

We currently use the jira user repsository to manage our users, however many of our users have multiple email addresses.

Eg. Joe So has 2 email accounts - Joeso1@email1.com & joeso123@email2.com- Both being the same person and is struggling to manage Jira notifications. (Both accounts on jira)

So my question is:

Can the Crowd user reposirtory manage this type of user?

What I would like for example -

1 user - Joe So

2 email account on 1 profile (Joeso1@email1.com & joeso123@email2.com)

Jira notifiys both email accounts

I hope I'm being clear, I want one user profile that can have multiple email addresses? so that if the user wants to make things complicated by having two email accounts, I will just be one Jira account for Admin to manage.

Thanks in advance

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
JohnA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 27, 2014

Hi Warren,

I'm sorry to say that Crowd can only manage one email address for each user, so this wouldn't be possible to configure from the application itself. However, I would have thought you'd be able to configure your mail server to relay the mails sent from the applications to multiple email addresses, even though the applications only originally send the mails to the one address stored in the user's profile details, so that is the route I would go down to set this up.

All the best,
John

Warren McInnes
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 27, 2014

I'm not too stressed about Jira's notifications to users, However I am more bothered about user accounts, Some on our users may move between deparments and then get allocated a new email address, this can not be helped. And then they send an email to one of our support email addresses assigned to Jira - hence creating a new user for that email account. This approach makes the same person end up with multiple users accounts due to having multiple email addresses. I understand this is a User error and not an application error, but as an Administrator this becomes messy to manage and it's a constant battle to get the user to use just one account and one email address. So I thought if there was some way to allow 1 person to have 1 Jira account but have as many email addresses as they wish to manage on their own capacity, it would make managing some users in jira better and it's would be their problem to manage to track their Jira notifications. What is the purpose of Crowd then, If you can manage users in Jira, What functionality does crowd offer that Jira can't do?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events