Crowd XSRF check failed

Josh Rea June 5, 2017

How does one troubleshoot an "XSRF check failed" error when testing an LDAP connection from the Crowd web app to a Microsoft Active Directory server? I am using Crowd 2.11.0, and we have recently updated the entire company's IP scheme. I have updated all of the hard-coded IPs on the server. It's Ubuntu 16.04.2, Nginx, Postgresql, with Node and Java. I have searched the Atlassian documentation on Crowd, but there is nothing there regarding this error.

Thanks in advance,

Josh

3 answers

1 accepted

5 votes
Answer accepted
Josh Rea June 6, 2017

I had to add a proxyName, proxyPort, and scheme configurations into the crowd server.xml file, due to it being ran behind Nginx. I hope that helps anyone who comes across this same issue.

-Josh

neuralabs October 15, 2018

Thanks Josh - yes sorted our issues as well (reverse proxying Crowd 3.3.0 through apache).

Ann's response below is the doc I followed: Cross Site Request Forgery (CSRF) protection changes in Atlassian REST

proxyName, proxyPort, and scheme config values should be added to the Connector tag, restart crowd to make active

Like Hao Doan likes this
Hao Doan July 17, 2019

For those that needs more detail steps.

1. Shutdown Crowd.
  2. Open the server.xml file, my path /opt/atlassian/crowd/apache-tomcat/conf.
  3. Add your proxyname, proxyport, and scheme after URIEncoding="UTF-8" line.

Example: scheme="https" proxyName="yoursub.yourdomain.com" proxyPort="443"

4. Save the file and start Crowd.

Hope this help!

Like # people like this
0 votes
Yogesh Mude
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 27, 2021

Hello all,

Getting the same issue while sending a request to Crowd. i checked in the server.xml file and proxy name, port and scheme have configured, but still getting the below error.

2021-01-27 11:20:43,413 http-nio-8095-exec-11 WARN [common.security.jersey.XsrfResourceFilter] XSRF checks failed for request:

@Josh Rea , what do you mean to update the connecting LDAP URL in my Crowd administration console? can you pls explain little bit.

Thanks.

0 votes
AnnWorley
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 5, 2017

Josh, the documentation applies to the whole Atlassian suite so it's not in the Crowd docs, I am sorry you searched in vain. The conditions that cause XSRF errors are described in:

Cross Site Request Forgery (CSRF) protection changes in Atlassian REST

Josh Rea June 5, 2017

Thanks Ann!

So it's my understanding that XSRF errors are simply URL mis-matches, therefore, I would simply need to update the connecting LDAP URL in my Crowd administration console?

-Josh

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events