It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Crowd Migration to new Server, with a twist Edited

We are migrating all of our self-hosted Atlassian applications to new servers and I'm trying to do this incrementally.  All of the applications are currently installed on a single server (don't ask... wasn't my idea, nor ideal... I know).  One approach that I'm thinking might work is to do the following:

1. Create new <Atlassian App, e.g., Crowd> on NEW server
  2. Backup/export all data, and stop OLD Crowd instance
  3. Import all data into NEW Crowd instance and Start
  4. Configure tomcat on OLD Crowd server to proxy_pass/reverse_proxy to NEW Crowd server and restart tomcat on OLD server
  5. Repeat for all Atlassian apps...

Then, create a proxy front end (ngnix, IIS, apache, etc.) that once all Atlassian applications are moved to their new respective server, proxy translates OLD server name/applications to NEW server names/applicationDecommission OLD server.  Finally, create DNS record for proxy front end to look like the OLD server name on the domain, i.e., ping OLD, gets response of proxy server.

I know apache can be set up to do this, but what about Tomcat?  Can I have tomcat running on one server, and the application reside on another?

Anyone have any experience doing something similar?  Is this the best approach? 

Appreciate your thoughts and advice.

Thanks!

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted

I've not found any documentation about setting up tomcat to proxy.  The way we are currently planning to do this is:

* put a web server (IIS, Apache, whatever) on the server and only listen for specific ports, 8095 for Crowd, 8080 for JIRA, etc.

* set up proxy pass and reverse rules to the new server, one at a time, as each application is stood up on the new servers

Thanks.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Marketplace Apps & Integrations

Cloud Cafe Ep. 4: Listing your app on the Atlassian Marketplace

Hey y’all! Grab a cup of ☕ and check out the latest installment of Cloud Cafe – our video series about cloud app development on Atlassian. If you’re new to Cloud Cafe, check out the first few episo...

95 views 0 2
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you