Crowd Install Not Working

Boyce Baine May 15, 2013

I know I am probably doing something stupid or missing one small piece but I cannot put my finger on it . I am evaluating a number of Atlassian products for my company and to this point have had no issues. I have followed the instructions for installation in a Windows environment step for step. However, when I launch IE to the default URL for setup, I only get a page can't be displayed error.

I am trying to install on a 64-bit Windows 2008r2 server. Confluence, JIRA and a number of plugins for both are running without issue. I just can't seem to get Crowd running.

11 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Boyce Baine May 30, 2013

After Atlassian support could not get it to work, I finally just installed on a different 32-bit Windows 2008 Std server.

0 votes
Web_Administrator April 3, 2019

Many years later - I have yet to be able to complete the Crowd installation. Trying to connect to a SQL Server (using a named instance, if that matters). I finally was able to get to a point where the database connection succeeds, and the tables are created, but it fails with the error "Missing plugins" (such as soy and a couple others). Why is Crowd's installation so much less solid than Jira and Confluence? I am running both on the same server (not yet in production, but just trying to try them out before I split them up) already, so it's not an issue of communication with the database server. I even downloaded a fresh jdk (1.8, even though that's now super old, but it's what the Crowd docs say is supported) and still no luck.

0 votes
Boyce Baine May 20, 2013

I got pulled on another issue for a couple of days. Echo simply shows %JAVA_HOME% - not the variable value.

0 votes
MatthewC
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 16, 2013

@jobin - very true!

@Boyce, what do you get when you open a command window (windos-R) and type

echo %JAVA_HOME%

0 votes
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 16, 2013

I am not sure about the latest versions on Windows but JIRA and Confluence used to come with packaged JRE. Hence no need of separate JAVA_HOME. Crowd needs it though.

Agree about JIRA as user directory but SSO won't be supported.

0 votes
MatthewC
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 16, 2013

I think there's still an issue with Crowd on 64 bit platforms, the tomcat was compiled against a 32 bit versio. Applies if you have installed as a service

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/CROWD/Troubleshooting+Crowd+as+a+Windows+Service

0 votes
MatthewC
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 16, 2013

If java home was missing, the other apps wouldn't work. Must be something specific to Crowd.

What versions of the software are you running?

Also, just be aware you may not need Crowd, Jira can act as your user server

0 votes
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 16, 2013

Maybe you are missing Java Home or soemthing. Open a command window, navigate to Crowd folder and execute the bat file from there. If there are any errors, you will see it on the window.

0 votes
Boyce Baine May 16, 2013

It is a simple "This Page Cannot Be Displayed" error. The apache-tomcat/logs directory is empty and when I execute the batch file, nothing is reported.

0 votes
joe
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 16, 2013

Is start_crowd.bat reporting the base directories and paths when you run it? What's in apache-tomcat/logs? Is the error a 404 or a failure to connect to that port?

0 votes
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 15, 2013

Any error in the logs?

Boyce Baine May 16, 2013

There are no events logged. It is almost as if running start_crowd.bat is doing nothing. I have tried on a second server (32 bit) with no joy either.

Rising Star
Rising Star
May 16, 2013

What is the url you are trying?

Boyce Baine May 16, 2013

http://localhost:8095/crowd. I have also tried explicitly entering the IP address of the server.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events