cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
  • Community
  • Products
  • Crowd
  • Questions
  • Can *JIRA* administrators add users to Crowd and add them to a *Confluence* group? Or do you have to be a Crowd administrator to do that?

Can *JIRA* administrators add users to Crowd and add them to a *Confluence* group? Or do you have to be a Crowd administrator to do that?

Scott Roberts July 6, 2014

Following scenario: One Crowd server, three JIRA servers connected to it and six Confluence instances. If you are an administrator on ANY of those connected applications, it would appear that you can a) add new users to Crowd and b) add them to groups that have NOTHING to do with the application that you are an administrator for.

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Andrew Wolpers [BlackPearl PDM]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 6, 2014

Yes, so long as the default directory they are creating a user in is connected to all of those instances. All groups are pulled in directly from Crowd across all instances because they don't know what's restricted to them.

If you'd like to limit this, you could add a new directory. Additionally, you should be able to limit the LDAP filter for each instance it touches to help refine as well: https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/CROWD/Restricting+LDAP+Scope+for+User+and+Group+Search

Scott Roberts July 7, 2014

Thanks for your response but the bit I dont understand is the level of permission you require to add yourself to a group.
I would have thought that you neede Crowd admin permissions to add a new user in Crowd, not just a Jira admin.

Andrew Wolpers [BlackPearl PDM]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 7, 2014

Essentially what Crowd-administrator does is lets you modify/access the Crowd Administration console directly. I can see why you would feel like its sort of backwards, but the way that the Crowd directories work is that if you connect it to JIRA or Confluence, and you are a in the jira-administrator role, you should be able to create the same way as you would have. It all depends on the directory configuration.

There are ways to break this, which you can search for, but I wouldn't suggest it if you're trying to lock it down that way.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events