Can Crowd and SSO be implemented separately?

SSO is a feature of Crowd

Therefore, SSO can be used to authenticate to the Atlassian suite, JIRA, Confluence and JSD. 
AND Crowd used to manage Atlassian suite users?

image2017-1-3 13:3:13.png

Currently users are managed internally in each JIRA, Confluence and JSD which is very labor intensive.

If Crowd is implemented, with the inclusion of SSO for authentication as on this diagram, does SSO nullify Crowd?

Converting internal users to Crowd should have no impact on existing SSO?

Your insight is appreciated.

2 answers

1 accepted

1 votes
Marcin Kempa Atlassian Team Jan 03, 2017

Hi @Janene Hoffmann

From your diagram I read that you are using SAML SSO with a separate IDP. The SSO provided by Crowd does not implement SAML specification. However you may use Crowd only for authorisation and user management just like any other external directory and still take advantage of other ways of authentication like SAML SSO.

Using Crowd for user management does not imply that products connected to it must use the SSO provided by Crowd. Therefore implementing Crowd and exporting internal users from products to it should not have any impact on existing SSO solution you are using.

As a side note, since you are using SAML SSO, you may be interested in latest JIRA 7.3 Data Center releases which comes with SAML integration out of the box.

Thank you for helping me understand what has been designed!  Obviously I'm not familiar with SSO nor Crowd, but need to get up to speed quickly. Also, before I get too far into converting Internal Directory to Crowd, I need to feel confident of the path I've been directed towards. 
So I can convert all the Internal Directory groups and users to Crowd without impacting SSO.
Thank you for the clarification!

Hello Janene!

In case you havent implemented SSO yet, you might want to check out Kantega Single Sign-on.

We do SSO with Kerberos and SAML even for users in the internal directories.

Have a look at https://marketplace.atlassian.com/search?query=kantega 

If you need any assistance, email us at SSO@kantega.no

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Teodora [Botron]
Published Thursday in Marketplace Apps

Jira Inferno: The Nine Circles of Jira Administration Hell

If you spend enough time as a Jira admin - whether you are managing a single, mid-sized instance, a large enterprise one or juggling multiple instances at once - you will eventually find yourself in ...

413 views 1 13
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot