Application groups in crowd or application

sri deepthi May 2, 2012

We are planning to setup a complete ALM solution with JIRA+confluence+fisheye (crucible)+Bamboo and would like to have authenticated with LDAP via Crowd.

Can you please advice me on having groups for applications created at crowd or application end. we already have 70 groups in jira and want to import them to crowd.

If we create users/groups at crowd is there a mechanism to sync the groups and users back to application, where even if we loose the connection with crowd, would like to have another user directory setup directly talkin got LDAP.

please advise me on this.

4 answers

0 votes
Septa Cahyadiputra
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 2, 2012

When we have crowd to authenticate users logging into jira for the first time will have an account created in crowd and validated with LDAP ( Deligated).

I don't think this is possible as Crowd Delegation Directory does not work that way. You will need to add the user by manually instead of automatically create when the user log-in to JIRA.

As mentioned previously you could import the user from JIRA though.

Cheers,

Septa Cahyadiputra

sri deepthi May 2, 2012

I have users created in crowd when they try to login fisheye, which is currently hookedup with crowd.

Being we already have users (1200+) and 75+ groups in jira we planned to import them into crowd where there jira usernames are same as in LDAP. The new users will automatically get created in crowd and we manually add them to the requred jira groups

0 votes
Septa Cahyadiputra
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 2, 2012

When we have crowd to authenticate users logging into jira for the first time will have an account created in crowd and validated with LDAP ( Deligated).

I don't think this is possible as Crowd Delegation Directory does not work that way. You will need to add the user by manually instead of automatically create when the user log-in to JIRA.

Cheers,
Septa Cahyadiputra

0 votes
Septa Cahyadiputra
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 2, 2012

Cheers,
Septa Cahyadiputra

0 votes
Septa Cahyadiputra
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 2, 2012

Hi there,

To import your users and groups from JIRA you could use Crowd user importer feature.

If we create users/groups at crowd is there a mechanism to sync the groups and users back to application

When you integrate Crowd with JIRA 4.3 and above, JIRA will have the ability to synchronize the whole users and groups configured for its. If you allow JIRA to write into Crowd it will be able to add users and groups directly into Crowd also.

where even if we loose the connection with crowd, would like to have another user directory setup directly talkin got LDAP.

In order to do this, than you will need to configure JIRA to integrate with LDAP server and place it at a lower order than Crowd directory at your "User Directories" menu.

This configuration will allow JIRA to search Crowd first, then if its unable to authenticate against Crowd, JIRA will try to authenticate it against LDAP server.

Hope it helps.

Cheers,
Septa Cahyadiputra

sri deepthi May 2, 2012

Thanks Septa for quick reply, and making me understand.

We don't want to allow jira to create users in crowd as we have connected crowd with LDAP and we do want to implement SSO.

When we have crowd to authenticate users logging into jira for the first time will have an account created in crowd and validated with LDAP ( Deligated). If i have LDAP as a second directory, I believe this will not happen and we might not be able to implement sso for the account as Jira finds the user in direct LDAP directory.

Sorry for the long explanation. Please clarify this and put me in the right path.

Regards,

Sri

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events