Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extended Crowd functionality

KentGran October 10, 2018

Hi all!

Started to look at Crowd since I’m administrating users and groups for JIRA, Confluence, Bitbucket, Sonatype Nexus and Jenkins.

They are all connected to an LDAP where users and groups are defined. It works reasonably fine most of the time but as the number of projects, spaces, jobs, users and groups tend to increase over time, so does the complexity of administering permissions/rights, group assignments, etc, etc. Managing users and groups in one central point is fine but it requires discipline at all times regarding group names, where they are assigned, no shortcuts to be taken during stressful situations where you can see that the easiest way to resolve a certain situation is to assign an already existing group to a project/job/space even though it doesn’t follow the strict naming conventions you want (or what ever the rule is)

Having said all this, to my understanding, Crowd is lacking the functionality/ability to get hold of, an present, where a certain group, or individual user for that matter, is assigned inside any of the applications it is connected to. Is that the case or am I missing something here? Administering only users and groups is just part of the problem. If one is to get the full picture, one need to know where users and groups are used/assigned in the applications (JIRA, Confluence, Jenkins, etc…). And not just the applications, the project/space/job, etc. A much higher level of granularity is needed in order to to get the big picture.

I can see an opening for a plugin here if my description is accurate and valid. I would certainly help in implementing such app/plugin if anyone would like to take on such challenge. However, I’m a C/C++ hacker myself with not to much JAVA knowledge so I wouldn’t be able to do this on my own.

Any takers?

Regards

Kent Granstrom

0 comments

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events