Jenkins fails to authenticate using submodules and bitbucket

Charlie Hubbard March 5, 2014

I'm using bitbucket and Jenkins to do my builds. My project has a submodule that needs to be checked out during the build process. The top level git repository that I'm using is working fine. It pulls that out of bitbucket using deployment keys with SSH access no problem. I have the same deployment key onboth repositories. I also made my submodule defined relatively to my project:

[submodule "platform/web-app/WEB-INF/learning"]
        path = platform/web-app/WEB-INF/learning
        url = ./../xxxxxxxx.git

However, when Jenkins builds it pulls down the top level repository and fails during the submodule. Jenkins is building this using the EC2 plugin so it's built on a slave box that is started up on demand. I've tried to execute git manually on the box, but it fails the same way. I don't fully understand how the ssh key gets pushed onto the box, but I don't understand how to debug this. Why this works for one module, but fails for the submodule?

Here is the output:

FATAL: Command "git submodule update --init --recursive" returned status code 1:
stdout: Cloning into 'platform/web-app/WEB-INF/learning'...

stderr: Permission denied (publickey).
fatal: Could not read from remote repository.

Please make sure you have the correct access rights and the repository exists.
Clone of 'git@bitbucket.org:xxxxxxxx/xxxxxxx.git' into submodule path 'platform/web-app/WEB-INF/learning' failed

hudson.plugins.git.GitException: Command "git submodule update --init --recursive" returned status code 1:

stdout: Cloning into 'platform/web-app/WEB-INF/learning'...

stderr: Permission denied (publickey).
fatal: Could not read from remote repository.

Please make sure you have the correct access rights and the repository exists.
Clone of 'git@bitbucket.org:xxxxxxxx/xxxxxx.git' into submodule path 'platform/web-app/WEB-INF/learning' failed

at org.jenkinsci.plugins.gitclient.CliGitAPIImpl.launchCommandIn(CliGitAPIImpl.java:1148)
        at org.jenkinsci.plugins.gitclient.CliGitAPIImpl.launchCommandIn(CliGitAPIImpl.java:1125)
        at org.jenkinsci.plugins.gitclient.CliGitAPIImpl.launchCommandIn(CliGitAPIImpl.java:1121)
        at org.jenkinsci.plugins.gitclient.CliGitAPIImpl.launchCommand(CliGitAPIImpl.java:937)
        at org.jenkinsci.plugins.gitclient.CliGitAPIImpl.submoduleUpdate(CliGitAPIImpl.java:598)
        at org.jenkinsci.plugins.gitclient.CliGitAPIImpl.submoduleUpdate(CliGitAPIImpl.java:579)
        at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
        at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:57)
        at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)
        at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:606)
        at hudson.remoting.RemoteInvocationHandler$RPCRequest.perform(RemoteInvocationHandler.java:299)
        at hudson.remoting.RemoteInvocationHandler$RPCRequest.call(RemoteInvocationHandler.java:280)
        at hudson.remoting.RemoteInvocationHandler$RPCRequest.call(RemoteInvocationHandler.java:239)
        at hudson.remoting.UserRequest.perform(UserRequest.java:118)
        at hudson.remoting.UserRequest.perform(UserRequest.java:48)
        at hudson.remoting.Request$2.run(Request.java:328)
        at hudson.remoting.InterceptingExecutorService$1.call(InterceptingExecutorService.java:72)
        at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(FutureTask.java:262)
        at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1145)
        at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:615)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:744)

1 answer

1 accepted

Suggest an answer

0 votes
Answer accepted
Charlie Hubbard July 6, 2014

Turns out this is a problem in the Git plugin for Jenkins. There have been issues filed for it but nothing has happened on it. I converted my jenkins project to simply pull down each git module separately. Then deleted the submodule directory and created a link pointing to the module. This made it simple and worked, but you don't get control over the commit you want to link to. This is fine for us because we tyipcally always want head on the sub-module so it actually made it simpler than using sub-modules for us. You could fiddle with tags and pulling by tag if you needed tighter control.

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events