what version of confluence supports Collaborative editing?

I have an self installed version of Confluence 5.10.0 and was wondering if Collaborative editing was available for this version or if i have to update?

2 answers

3 votes
Ann Worley Atlassian Team Dec 01, 2017

Collaborative editing was introduced in Confluence 6, it can't be added to a 5.10.x instance.

The current version is Confluence 6.5.1, so there have been features introduced and bugs fixed since Confluence 5.10.x. Please review Confluence 6.0 Release Notes and Confluence 6.5 Upgrade Notes and test the upgrade in a non-production environment.

1 vote
Davin Studer Community Champion Dec 01, 2017

To add to what @Ann Worley wrote...

If you currently access your Confluence instance over SSL and are not doing it via a reverse proxy, but instead through configuration in the Tomcat server.xml file, you will need to change how you do SSL termination to use a reverse proxy instead. Collaborative editing will not work otherwise. If you don't care about SSL, then you don't need to reverse proxy.

Reverse Proxy Setup

Please see the diagrams at:

Proxy and SSL considerations

If you don't run Confluence behind a reverse proxy, you'll connect to Synchrony via Confluence's internal Synchrony proxy. SSL, if used, is terminated at Tomcat.  This is the default configuration, and you shouldn't need to make any additional changes to use collaborative editing. 

Greta call Davin, I will check current state and take this into account.

Wait, so can you now do collaborative editing will SSL enabled and not have to use a reverse proxy?

That is my understanding per our documentation:

Proxies

Ok,. Nevermind what I wrote then. I know you used to not be able to do it without a reverse proxy. Didn't realize that changed.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Posted Oct 11, 2018 in Confluence

What are your project planning tips?

Hello Community,  Jessica here from the Confluence product marketing team! Today I wanted to get your takes on project planning –– what works, what doesn’t, how do you know if you’re doing it r...

260 views 1 4
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you