upgrade confluence from 5.4.2 to the lastest version 5.6

pv November 13, 2014

Hello,

I would like to upgrade confluence 5.4.2 to the latest version 5.6.4 on Linux.

Before upgrading the Confluence to the new version I would like to Test this on the staging/test machine first

so I don't break the production machine.

How do I go about it? I would like to reproduce the same setting. 

Which files do I copy files from the current machine ?

Thanks,

pv

2 answers

2 votes
Stephen Gurnick
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 14, 2014

I suggest the following steps for creating a test server:

NOTE: this is a rough high-level outline - more steps may be necessary but this should get you going in the right direction.

1. Create a back-up of your production Confluence instance
    1. Archive copy (tar.gz) of the Confluence installation directory
    2. Archive copy (tar.gz) of the Confluence home directory
    3. SQL dump of your database using database back-up tools
      1. For example if you use MySQL then use mysqldump to create the SQL back-up file
  2. Create a test server
    1. Perform a base install of Confluence 5.4.2 (your existing version)
    2. Replace the base install's installation and home directories with your back-up copies
  3. Create a test database
    1. Restore the SQL dump of production to this test database
    2. Make sure you change the confluence.cfg.xml file to use the new test db name and log-in credentials
      1. If you want this server to use a different URL (e.g. http://confluence-test.yourdomain.com) you can use command line tools (e.g. sed) to change the base URL in the SQL dump file prior to restoring to the test database
      2. If you use Apache as a reverse proxy, you'll need to make the same changes to your server.xml file

This should get you going on a test system where you can perform the upgrade as many times as necessary to get it working just the way you want. It's simple to revert back to your original Confluence version - just make sure you wipe out your Confluence home/install directories and the database before you attempt to put 5.4.2 back on the test system.

When you are satisfied with the procedure you've developed, you can then perform an in-place upgrade on your production server.

Hope all goes well for you.

pv November 14, 2014

Stephen, Thank you very for your excellent instruction! I will let you you know how it goes. pv

pv November 19, 2014

Hi Stephen, When I try to logon to the localhost:8090 it still points back to the Original link: https://confluence.site.com I changed the confluence.cfg.xml Is there other configuration file that I need to change?

1 vote
Bhushan Nagaraj
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 13, 2014

Hi PV,

This document should help in establishing a staging/test server for Confluence.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/DOC/Restoring+a+Test+Instance+from+Production

Cheers

Bhushan

pv November 14, 2014

Hi Bhushan, Could you please clarify these steps. Do I have to login to mysql tabase first to run these commands on my Test machine? Ensuring no contact with production systems To ensure no contact with external systems, you will need to disable both inbound and outbound mail services. 1. Disable global outbound mail by running the following database query: SELECT * FROM BANDANA WHERE BANDANAKEY = 'atlassian.confluence.smtp.mail.accounts'; 2. Disable space-level mail archiving by running the following database query: SELECT * FROM BANDANA WHERE BANDANAKEY = 'atlassian.confluence.space.mailaccounts'; Thanks, pv

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events