upgrade confluence complains about directory already exists

I am trying to upgrade confluence to the latest version but I can't get it to work. I had the same problem with the latest version 4.x version

The problem is that I have confluence installed in /home/opensource/confluence, following is the output from running the command on a Ubuntu machine.

Strange thing is that it ask if it is clean or upgrade and offers number 3 as default (which does not exist).

When I pick the existing folder it tells me it can't install it there because it already exists.

Any suggestions?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
bash ./atlassian-confluence-5.0.3-x64.bin 
Unpacking JRE ...
Starting Installer ...

This will install Confluence 5.0.3 on your computer.
OK [o, Enter], Cancel [c]

Choose the appropriate installation or upgrade option.
Please choose one of the following:
Express Install (uses default settings) [1], Custom Install (recommended for advanced users) [2, Enter], Upgrade an existing Confluence installation [3]

Where should Confluence 5.0.3 be installed?
[/opt/atlassian/confluence]
/home/opensource/confluence
It appears that Confluence is already installed in the directory you selected.  Please choose a different directory.

[/home/opensource/confluence]
^Croot@rizzo:/home/opensource# bash ./atlassian-confluence-5.0.3-x64.bin 
Unpacking JRE ...
Starting Installer ...

This will install Confluence 5.0.3 on your computer.
OK [o, Enter], Cancel [c]

Choose the appropriate installation or upgrade option.
Please choose one of the following:
Express Install (uses default settings) [1], Custom Install (recommended for advanced users) [2, Enter], Upgrade an existing Confluence installation [3]

[/opt/atlassian/confluence]
/home/opensource/confluence
It appears that Confluence is already installed in the directory you selected.  Please choose a different directory.

[/home/opensource/confluence]

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes

3 is the option to upgrade. I don't see you giving that. If you try new install, you will have o choose another directory.

Thanks, now I feel even more stupid since I thought that 3 was the default value.

Suggest an answer

Atlassian Community Anniversary

Happy Anniversary, Atlassian Community!

This community is celebrating its one-year anniversary and Atlassian co-founder Mike Cannon-Brookes has all the feels.

Read more
Community showcase
Kesha Thillainayagam
Posted Apr 13, 2018 in Confluence

We want to hear how your non-technical teams are using Confluence!

Hi Community! Kesha (kay-sha) from the Confluence marketing team here! Can you share stories with us on how your non-technical (think Marketing, Sales, HR, legal, etc.) teams are using Confluen...

374 views 20 10
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you