remove automatic smiley display when typing " : "+line break

Xavier Kress April 2, 2020

Hi, could you tell me if it is possible to remove automatic smiley display when typing " : " + line break. It's really annoying.

Thanks

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Diego
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 3, 2020

Hello @Xavier Kress !

As I understand, you want to remove the automatic conversion of a specific set of characters into an emoji.

Currently, there is no feature that allows us to disable only specific emojis. What we have is ways to avoid any emoji or disable them all.

If you want to undo the conversion of any set of character into emojis, you can use this button combination:

CTRL+Z – Windows

CMD+Z – macOS

Now, if you want to disable All Character Conversion Into Emojis, you need to do this:

1. Click your profile picture
  2. Select click the “Settings” option
  3. Click the “Edit” button
  4. Uncheck the “Enable Keyboard Shortcuts” option
  5. Click the “Save” option

This procedure will disable both the conversion to emojis and the keyboard shortcuts in Confluence. This setting affects your user account only.

If you want a more in-depth view of this topic, you can take a look here:

I hope this helps! Looking forward to your reply.

Xavier Kress April 5, 2020

Many thanks for your reply

Like Diego likes this
Diego
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 6, 2020

Thanks for getting back to us!

dwalliang November 24, 2023

Hello,

I think that this answer doesn't meet the need.

The need is clear: by typing ":" + line break, we don't want to insert a smiley, we want a ":" and a line break.

It's not about converting a set of characters. This is to show a dropdown list and default to selecting an emoji when typing ":" + line break.

I observed that the behavour is different depending on the language.

In English, the ":" is preceded by a letter and when you type a letter + ":" + new line, there is no dropdown list.

In French, the ":" is preceded by a space. When you type a letter + space + ":" + line break, an emoji is inserted.

The workaround I found is typing ":" + ESC + line break. But this slows down text editing...

A parameter to disable this feature would be ideal.

Thanks

Like # people like this
yann.boulanger January 9, 2024

I'm am agree with dwalliang, this is not an acceptable behavior for an editor to associate ":" automatically with smiley.

Could you just add a way to disable it ?

Like # people like this
Vincent VOISIN
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
February 20, 2024

I totally agree with Dwalliang and yann.boulanger.

Since we've upgraded our confluence, our users are really disappointed by the feature...

And the deactivation of the shortcut in the profile section is not an acceptable answer...

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events