Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"last 24 hours" mails several times every night

Kai Huegle December 28, 2017

Hello,

I've activated the "Subscribe to daily updates"-feature to get an update summary night. Since a few weeks I'm getting these mails 6 times every night. I cannot remember any recent config changes so this is kinda weird.

Is this a known bug? I couldn't find anything like this  :-\

2017-12-28_17h08_12.png

Regards,
Kai

1 answer

0 votes
AnnWorley
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 28, 2017

Hi Kai,

I was not able to find a bug reported for duplicate daily emails being sent out from Confluence.

To help narrow the issue down to either the Confluence instance or the email provider, please:

Go to Confluence Admin>Scheduled jobs

Choose History next to the Email Daily Reports job and you can see when Confluence sent the emails.Screen Shot 2017-12-28 at 10.33.02 AM.png

If Confluence only sent the emails daily but you are receiving several a day then there may be an issue you can follow up on with your email administrator.

Thanks,

Ann

Kai Huegle December 29, 2017

Hello Ann, 

thanks for your answer.

I've talked to your Exchange guys: Confluence seems to be the only system in our network having this kind of problem. The mail setup is actually pretty simple: direct SMTP connection, no authentication, no TLS.

When using the "Send test email"-feature in Confluence I get the following error message:

An error has occurred with sending the test email:
com.atlassian.mail.MailException: javax.mail.MessagingException: Exception reading response;
nested exception is:
java.net.SocketTimeoutException: Read timed out
at com.atlassian.confluence.jmx.JmxSMTPMailServer.doSendWithMessageIdSupport(JmxSMTPMailServer.java:120)
at com.atlassian.confluence.jmx.JmxSMTPMailServer.send(JmxSMTPMailServer.java:79)
at com.atlassian.confluence.admin.actions.mail.SendTestEmailAction.execute(SendTestEmailAction.java:57)
[...]
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:748)
Caused by: javax.mail.MessagingException: Exception reading response;
nested exception is:
java.net.SocketTimeoutException: Read timed out
at com.sun.mail.smtp.SMTPTransport.readServerResponse(SMTPTransport.java:2210)
at com.sun.mail.smtp.SMTPTransport.issueSendCommand(SMTPTransport.java:2093)
at com.sun.mail.smtp.SMTPTransport.finishData(SMTPTransport.java:1900)
at com.sun.mail.smtp.SMTPTransport.sendMessage(SMTPTransport.java:1122)
at com.atlassian.confluence.jmx.JmxSMTPMailServer.doSendWithMessageIdSupport(JmxSMTPMailServer.java:104)
... 364 more
Caused by: java.net.SocketTimeoutException: Read timed out
at java.net.SocketInputStream.socketRead0(Native Method)
at java.net.SocketInputStream.socketRead(SocketInputStream.java:116)
at java.net.SocketInputStream.read(SocketInputStream.java:171)
at java.net.SocketInputStream.read(SocketInputStream.java:141)
at com.sun.mail.util.TraceInputStream.read(TraceInputStream.java:110)
at java.io.BufferedInputStream.fill(BufferedInputStream.java:246)
at java.io.BufferedInputStream.read(BufferedInputStream.java:265)
at com.sun.mail.util.LineInputStream.readLine(LineInputStream.java:89)
at com.sun.mail.smtp.SMTPTransport.readServerResponse(SMTPTransport.java:2188)
... 368 more

But still the message appears in my inbox. I'm confuessed...

Regards,
Kai

AnnWorley
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 29, 2017

Hello Kai,

It is confusing, but those time out errors led me to find this bug report: Outgoing mail: Read timed out results in duplicate notifications

If you would like to watch the ticket, commenting or voting will add you to notifications.

It looks like you can stop the duplicate emails by going to Confluence Admin>Mail Queue>Error queue and either deleting or resending whatever is in there. 

I look forward to hearing whether the duplicate emails are eliminated after you purge the error queue.

Best,

Ann

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events