"Favorites" recently changed to "Saved for Later", confusing my users...

Deleted user January 4, 2016

"Favorites" recently changed to "Saved for Later" and is confusing my users because Favorites makes more sense for favoriting/bookmarking frequently visited content. "Saved for Later" is more like a document draft. How can we change it back to "Favorites"?

5 answers

1 accepted

4 votes
Answer accepted
Eduardo Nunes
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 4, 2016

Hi Bryan,

The 'Favorites' title has changed to 'Save for Later' in the latest Cloud releases because it's actually changed the feature meaning itself, since this is now used to save pages that you do not have time to review at that specific moment, as stated in this KB article:

"Saving pages for later helps you access them quickly from the dashboard or from your profile.

No time to read that page now?  No problem, hit Save for later and it'll be waiting for you on the dashboard when you have more time.   It's also a great place to store those pages that you use on a day to day basis.

Save for later was previously called Favourites."

Cheers,

ENunes

Sam Hall
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 14, 2016

The 5.10 Upgrade Notes states:

We've renamed the Favorite pages feature to Saved for later. This is just a name change; the essential behavior of this feature hasn't changed.

People using "Favorites" to bookmark pages they are interested can't relate to this change of wording. Can you change it back please?

Like # people like this
Aaron Carlson February 28, 2017

Just encountered this.  "Save for later" makes no sense.  Favorite and Bookmark are industry terms that have been used for decades and are clear, concise, and globally understood.  Save For Later terminology seems like a draft.  Why not use the industry standard and historical (to confluence) term?  I downvote this change.

Like # people like this
Aaron Boyer November 16, 2018

I agree, downvote this to oblivion. I just spent way too much time looking for how to view favorites when it was "save for later" the whole time. Frustrating.

Like # people like this
Sheila Myers January 9, 2019

Ditto. I was looking for Favorites and couldn't believe I was supposed to use the Save for Later button. It makes no sense.

Like # people like this
Sam Hall
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 23, 2020

I'm curious if anyone's tried to resolve this using InProduct Tranlsation Add-On... https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1211972/inproduct-translation-for-confluence/version-history 

Rudi van der Molen June 10, 2020

I tried this, and it actually seems to work just fine (for Confluence 6.15.9). The only thing is, the addon hasn't been updated since 2016 and I'm afraid that it'll break at some point.

I couldn't find any way to contact the creator of it either.

Davin Studer
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 30, 2020

The InProduct Translation used to work great. We just upgraded to 7.5.2 and it no longer works in our test environment. I've not tried it in prod yet, but my hunch is we will need to find another solution going forward.

Rudi van der Molen June 30, 2020

Oof that's too bad. Thanks for your reply!

4 votes
Axel Joester July 18, 2018

In the german translation it is even more confusing: The link to "Save for later" is still translated as "Favorit", but the profile-link "Saved for later" is translated as "Gespeichert für später".

German users have no chance to understand that both entries refer to the same concept.

Atlassian should work on their i18n efforts before light-heartedly changing widely accepted terms and then translating them only in part.

And yes, I second what many said before: "saved for later" is evoking the idea of a "list of drafts". It was a poor change in the first place.

2 votes
Adam September 6, 2019

This change is awful! Also, getting to your "saved for later" is buried under sections. It's amazing how terrible the Confluence/Jira experience is considering it's a tool for making "good" products.

1 vote
Michael Schulz June 26, 2019

I agree with the above.  If I have to resort to a Google search to figure out "what happened to favorites in Confluence" then something is really broken.  Also the "Favorite" icon still shows a tooltip of "Favorites" not "Save for later", so...

Dmitry Tsigelnik January 21, 2020

same for me. that's horrible

Like Alexi Vanderstraeten likes this
0 votes
erik.unangst November 7, 2019

I'm also not a fan of the verbiage. Favorites makes more sense. 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events