cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

installing a confluence plugin via filesystem

Tom Jackson
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 11, 2013

We are trying to automate the construction of our Confluence server via Chef or Puppet. We are able to install our Jira plugins by copying them to a directory under jira-home. Is there a comparable directory for confluence type 2 plugins?

4 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Tom Jackson
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 31, 2014

Looks like there is a way to load via the DB.

The plugindata table hold plugin metadata and the plugin binary

The bandana table holds the plugin state (enabled/disabled)

See also:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/CONFKB/How+to+manually+remove+malfunctioning+add-ons

1 vote
Yilin
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 22, 2015

The workaround solution is to copy the jar or obr file to the folder "<Confluence instance>/confluence/WEB-INF/atlassian-bundled-plugins" that once Confluence restarted, it will load as a system plugin in the manage add ons list.

However, if you want to uninstall it, it is not possible to uninstall via UI, you need to :

# Remove the file from the "atlassian-bundled-plugins" folder
# Shutdown Confluence and clear the plugin cache before restart.

0 votes
Tom Jackson
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 30, 2014

I raised a SR with Atlassian and got this response:

Tom,

Unfortunately it is not possible to install plugins via the install directory. You can upload add-onsdirectly in the interface for via Marketplace.

Anything outside of those methods are unfortunately not supported by Atlassian.

Regards,
Shannon

ivanrossier June 17, 2019

so, you mean that an Internet connection is mandatory ... which is not always the case !!!

Yiraphic __ Schildwacht June 14, 2020

@ivanrossierYou can always update an App using the jar file from local disk if you do not have an internet connection. If you go to manage apps -> Upload app -> Select the jar file.

There is also the following way to update an App via the database for CI testing purposes / non-production environments: For example: if you have a new version of the App named confluence-create-content-plugin.jar -> Stop Confluence and then use this SQL on the PostgreSQL database:

UPDATE plugindata SET data=pg_read_binary_file('confluence-create-content-plugin.jar') WHERE pluginkey = 'com.atlassian.confluence.plugins.confluence-create-content-plugin';

Then start Confluence again. Do mind that the .jar file (confluence-create-content-plugin.jar in this example) should be in the data directory of the PostgreSQL environment in order to access it by the function pg_read_binary_file(). You can find out where your data directory is on the PostgreSQL database:

SHOW data_directory;
0 votes
AnnWorley
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 12, 2013

Try <confluence_install>/confluence/WEB-INF/lib. That's my understanding from:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/DOC/Important+Directories+and+Files

Tom Jackson
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 12, 2013

I believe that's for type I plugins... but i'll give it a shot...

Tom Jackson
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 12, 2013

nope, didn't work. Any other idears?

Tom Paine April 28, 2014

Did you get anywhere with this?

Tom Jackson
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 28, 2014

Hey Tom,

Back in January I was working with an Atlassian support engineer on a separate issue. I asked about him about this issue. His response is below. I haven't had a chance to try it but will be doing so this week:

Hi Tom,
I also had a chance to catch up with the plugin dev team on being able to add plugins. Apparently, Confluence is out only application which cannot do this (which explains why I was unaware of the option). However, what is possible is adding the jar file to the confluence/WEB-INF/classes/com/atlassian/confluence/setup/atlassian-bundled-plugins.zip file which is where bundled plugins load from. Once there, the plugin will load on Confluences next restart.

Cheers,
Andrew Campbell
Atlassian Support, San Francisco

Tom Jackson
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 29, 2014

I just tried it and results were not as expected. Plugins do in fact get pulled in but ...

expected:

plugins get installed

plugins show in "manage add-ons" UI

plugin shows in "User-installed" add-ons

plugins can be enabled/disabled

plugins can be uninstalled

works with plugins deployed as .jar's and .obr's

actual:

plugins get installed

plugins show in "manage add-ons" UI

plugin shows in "System" add-ons

plugins can be enabled/disabled