how to stop versioning on page in confluence?

Ravi Patel September 9, 2016

This question is in reference to Atlassian Documentation: Page History and Page Comparison Views

Right now when ever i made any changes any existing page confluence create new version (i.e. V2, v3), i don't want confluence to create multiple version right now, how should i stop to create multiple version .

3 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 9, 2016

The whole point of the page versions in Confluence is that they record your changes.  You can't turn it off, it's an integral part of the system.

I think what you really want to do is implement a publication system - Confluence would version pages as it does now, but you would have another indicator for releases.  You'd only release a version of a page when you're happy with it.   (e.g. versions would be 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 etc, but you'd publish "release 1 (version 2)" and "release 2 (version 5)" and so on)

I've used Comala Workflows to do this a few times, and Scroll Versions and/or Viewport can also do something similar.

1 vote
Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 9, 2016

In addition to what Nic said, you need to stop pressing Save. If you want a page to remain a 'draft' you should just press Close to exit the editor. Confluence is auto-saving every 30 seconds by default.

You can find any document you've never saved in your Drafts area. I work on pages for days or weeks at a time and only Save it when it's ready to publish.

image2016-9-9 15:18:3.png

Confluence now has the concept of Shared Drafts with the release of Confluence 6 Live Editing, but I'm not super familiar with how they changed drafts yet.

Ravi Patel September 12, 2016

So, if i don't use "Save", can anyone go and see my update or not? 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 12, 2016

It has to be saved for other people to see it, your drafts are private.

Ravi Patel September 12, 2016

Thanks Nic

0 votes
Pavel Potcheptsov
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 11, 2016

Please vote and comment here: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CONF-27701.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events