Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to start confluence after a migration

Kathy Plamann September 17, 2015

Hi

I have migrated Confluence to another server.  I zipped the home and install directories an moved them and unzipped with 7-zip.  Now how do I start Confluence? This is Confluence 5.5.6.

Thanks

Kathy

5 answers

1 vote
Kathy Plamann September 18, 2015

I'm still having problems trying to get confluence started. These are the steps I took.

1. 7zip the files–installation and home directories on the Windows Server 2008 OS
  2. copied the 7zip files to the new server that has Windows Server 2012R2
  3. on the original server the confluence was a windows service and I don't see anywhere that the JRE_HOME is defined as an environmental variable
  4. so the state I am in on Windows Server 2012R2 is that Confluence is not setup as a Windows Service and even if I run start-confluence.bat on the command line the Tomcat displays the following --it seems to hang. See the attachment.
  5. My goal is to be able to get confluence running on the Windows Server 2012R2 server and to have Confluence set up as a windows service
    Thanks
    Kathy
    *I'm only allowed to post on the Answer board once a day so I won't be able to respond to questions until tomorrow ( and only one at a day)
1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 17, 2015

Possibly, the same way you started the old one.  But we don't know what you've done with the database or what the differences between the servers are that you might have to make config changes for.

0 votes
Rodrigo Girardi Adami
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 18, 2015

Hi Kathy, I've upvoted your question and answer so you should be able to answer sooner now.

As for the migration, I believe your best alternative in this case is to install Confluence from scratch in the new server and setup some external database ( would be good to use a bogus schema from the same database as Confluence is currently using)

After the installation is done, stop confluence service, copy over the attachments folder to the new home directory and open the Confluence.cfg.xml file inside the new home directory on the new server.

Locate the connection URL to the database and modify it to point the same database as production. ( In order for this to work, you must be using the exact same version of confluence). Also, change the username and password accordingly. Save the file and restart the instance. It should work.

For safety reasons, I recommend to perform a full backup from the database and all important confluence folders before proceeding.

Regards,

Rodrigo

AmandaW September 19, 2015

Thanks Rodrigo I tried a fresh install and I still have the same problem trying to start Confluence that I had with the migration. I did create a ticket with Support. Thanks for your help Kathy

0 votes
Rodrigo Girardi Adami
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 17, 2015

Hi Kathy,

We usually follow the steps located in this documentation. There are some points you must take when migrating to another server.

1) Is the same OS?

2) Do it contains the same user permission than the older server (this is very important, specially in Linux environments.)

3) Do the network changed when comparing to the old server (do the new server is in a new subnet?)

4) In case the network changed, can the new environment connect to the database without issues?

I usually ask myself these question in order to avoid some headache in the migration. I hope this give you some insights.

Cheers.

Rodrigo

0 votes
William Zanchet [Atlassian]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 17, 2015

Hi Kathy,

If it's Windows you can open the start-confluence.bat that is located in the <install-folder>/bin and if it's Linux, it's the start-confluence.sh, both of them located in the same folder.

Cheers,
WZ

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events