how to create a new group in confluence 3.5

What is external directory.

image2016-5-11 14:18:10.png

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 8, 2016

Go to Admin -> User maintenance -> Groups and click "add".  If you're using internal users.

If it's external (AD, Crowd etc) then you'll need to add them in the external user directory system.

Kaveri May 10, 2016

External directory needs to be created..?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 11, 2016

I don't know.  You seem to have added a screenshot of your directory list to your question since I answered, but that doesn't tell me anything other than you have external directories.

"External directory needs to be created?" is something I can't answer.  Do you need another directory?  What has that got to do with adding users into existing directories?

Kaveri May 11, 2016

We are not able to create group in confluence version 35.5. We tried giving AD- Foresters users  , read/write permission.

Now we are able to create with no error (earlier error used to be like failed to create server logs.)

but we are not able to view the group, although we don't get any error.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 11, 2016

I'm sorry, but you need to explain what you're doing more clearly.

"able to create without error" - create what?  And where?

"not able to view the group" - again, where?

Kaveri May 11, 2016

I m able to create group in confluence version 3.5 under manage groups tab.

How- Here is the answer->

--> I log in with administrator account and click on edit->site administration->manage groups(on left pannel) and Add Group.

After I click on Add Group link. I type in the name of the group and save. But after saving the group doesn't comes in the list of the groups.

This is my query. I m not able to view the group I created.

Let me know if you have any query.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 12, 2016

So there's no error message, it looks like it's working when you add a group?

>"the group doesn't comes in the list of the groups"

Which list of groups?  Where are you looking for this list?

Kaveri May 16, 2016

It is working when I add the group. But when I go back to the page manage groups. I am not able to find the group I created.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 16, 2016

Ok, you'll need to read the log file to see what errors are being thrown when you click "add"

Kaveri May 17, 2016

Users' is not functional during authentication of 'fasatsupport'. Skipped.  -- referer: http://devwiki/authenticate.action?destination=/admin/console.action?atl_token=5799195cec280386f18e45b7a282111807a8e3c1 | url: /doauthenticate.action | userName: fasatsupport | action: doauthenticate 2016-05-18 03:51:55,970 ERROR [TP-Processor2] [bucket.user.DefaultUserAccessor] createGroup com.atlassian.crowd.exception.embedded.InvalidGroupException: com.atlassian.crowd.exception.InvalidGroupException: [LDAP: error code 50 - 00000005: SecErr: DSID-03151E07, problem 4003 (INSUFF_ACCESS_RIGHTS), data 0  ]; nested exception is javax.naming.NoPermissionException: [LDAP: error code 50 - 00000005: SecErr: DSID-03151E07, problem 4003 (INSUFF_ACCESS_RIGHTS), data 0  ]; remaining name 'cn=bell tel, ou=Users,ou=foresters,dc=foresters,dc=local'  -- referer: http://devwiki/admin/users/browsegroups.action | url: /admin/users/creategroup.action | userName: fasatsupport | action: creategroup com.atlassian.user.impl.EntityValidationException: com.atlassian.crowd.exception.embedded.InvalidGroupException: com.atlassian.crowd.exception.InvalidGroupException: [LDAP: error code 50 - 00000005: SecErr: DSID-03151E07, problem 4003 (INSUFF_ACCESS_RIGHTS), data 0  ]; nested exception is javax.naming.NoPermissionException: [LDAP: error code 50 - 00000005: SecErr: DSID-03151E07, problem 4003 (INSUFF_ACCESS_RIGHTS), data 0  ]; remaining name 'cn=bell tel, ou=Users,ou=foresters,dc=foresters,dc=local

Kaveri May 17, 2016

can you please let me know what settings needs to be changed. Its a bit urgent. Need to create the group. does this anything to be done on LDAP..?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 18, 2016

I think the "no permission" is a bit of a giveaway - the user you've connected to LDAP with does not have the right to add groups

Kaveri May 19, 2016

can you please explain in detail about the LDAP configuration. and what you mean to say.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 19, 2016

You have configured JIRA to get its list of users from LDAP.

You have used an account in LDAP that can only read the users.

JIRA cannot write to LDAP, so it cannot create the groups.

Your options are

1. Do the groups in LDAP
  2. Change the LDAP connection to allow the JIRA user to update LDAP
Kaveri May 23, 2016

Thanks for the information. Can you please let me know one thing:- Is the below configuration setting will allow to create group. this is the current setting.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

=== Current user === Directory ID: 65537 Username: fasatsupport Display name: Local ID for Fasat Support Team Email address:

=== Directories configured === Directory ID: 1179649 Name: AD - Foresters -Users Active: true Type: CONNECTOR Created date: 2011-12-28 13:02:44.047 Updated date: 2016-05-24 03:02:39.45 Allowed operations: [UPDATE_GROUP, CREATE_GROUP, CREATE_USER, UPDATE_USER, DELETE_GROUP, UPDATE_ROLE, UPDATE_GROUP_ATTRIBUTE, UPDATE_USER_ATTRIBUTE, DELETE_ROLE, CREATE_ROLE, UPDATE_ROLE_ATTRIBUTE, DELETE_USER] Implementation class: com.atlassian.crowd.directory.MicrosoftActiveDirectory Encryption type: sha Attributes:     "autoAddGroups": ""     "com.atlassian.crowd.directory.sync.issynchronising": "false"     "com.atlassian.crowd.directory.sync.lastdurationms": "438"     "com.atlassian.crowd.directory.sync.laststartsynctime": "1464073359011"     "directory.cache.synchronise.interval": "3600"     "ldap.basedn": "ou=Users,ou=foresters,dc=foresters,dc=local"     "ldap.connection.timeout": "0"     "ldap.group.description": "description"     "ldap.group.filter": "(objectCategory=Group)"     "ldap.group.name": "cn"     "ldap.group.objectclass": "group"     "ldap.group.usernames": "member"     "ldap.local.groups": "false"     "ldap.nestedgroups.disabled": "true"     "ldap.pagedresults": "true"     "ldap.pagedresults.size": "1000"     "ldap.password": (not shown)     "ldap.pool.timeout": "0"     "ldap.propogate.changes": "true"     "ldap.read.timeout": "120000"     "ldap.referral": "true"     "ldap.relaxed.dn.standardisation": "true"     "ldap.roles.disabled": "true"     "ldap.search.timelimit": "60000"     "ldap.secure": "false"     "ldap.url": "ldap://fh-dc-02.foresters.local:389"     "ldap.user.displayname": "displayName"     "ldap.user.email": "mail"     "ldap.user.encryption": "sha"     "ldap.user.filter": "(&(objectCategory=Person)(sAMAccountName=*))"     "ldap.user.firstname": "givenName"     "ldap.user.group": "memberOf"     "ldap.user.lastname": "sn"     "ldap.user.objectclass": "user"     "ldap.user.password": (not shown)     "ldap.user.username": "sAMAccountName"     "ldap.user.username.rdn": "cn"     "ldap.userdn": "confluence_user@foresters.local"     "ldap.usermembership.use": "false"     "ldap.usermembership.use.for.groups": "false"

Directory ID: 27361281 Name: Active Directory server Active: true Type: CONNECTOR Created date: 2012-09-26 11:55:45.403 Updated date: 2016-05-24 03:02:39.2 Allowed operations: [UPDATE_GROUP, CREATE_GROUP, CREATE_USER, UPDATE_USER, DELETE_GROUP, UPDATE_ROLE, UPDATE_GROUP_ATTRIBUTE, UPDATE_USER_ATTRIBUTE, DELETE_ROLE, CREATE_ROLE, UPDATE_ROLE_ATTRIBUTE, DELETE_USER] Implementation class: com.atlassian.crowd.directory.MicrosoftActiveDirectory Encryption type: sha Attributes:     "autoAddGroups": ""     "com.atlassian.crowd.directory.sync.issynchronising": "false"     "com.atlassian.crowd.directory.sync.lastdurationms": "125"     "com.atlassian.crowd.directory.sync.laststartsynctime": "1464073359074"     "directory.cache.synchronise.interval": "3600"     "ldap.basedn": "cn=Users,dc=foresters,dc=local"     "ldap.connection.timeout": "0"     "ldap.group.description": "description"     "ldap.group.filter": "(objectCategory=Group)"     "ldap.group.name": "cn"     "ldap.group.objectclass": "group"     "ldap.group.usernames": "member"     "ldap.local.groups": "false"     "ldap.nestedgroups.disabled": "false"     "ldap.pagedresults": "true"     "ldap.pagedresults.size": "1000"     "ldap.password": (not shown)     "ldap.pool.timeout": "0"     "ldap.propogate.changes": "true"     "ldap.read.timeout": "120000"     "ldap.referral": "true"     "ldap.relaxed.dn.standardisation": "true"     "ldap.roles.disabled": "true"     "ldap.search.timelimit": "60000"     "ldap.secure": "false"     "ldap.url": "ldap://fh-dc-02:389"     "ldap.user.displayname": "displayName"     "ldap.user.email": "mail"     "ldap.user.encryption": "sha"     "ldap.user.filter": "(&(objectCategory=Person)(sAMAccountName=*))"     "ldap.user.firstname": "givenName"     "ldap.user.group": "memberOf"     "ldap.user.lastname": "sn"     "ldap.user.objectclass": "user"     "ldap.user.password": (not shown)     "ldap.user.username": "sAMAccountName"     "ldap.user.username.rdn": "cn"     "ldap.userdn": "wasadmin@foresters.local"     "ldap.usermembership.use": "false"     "ldap.usermembership.use.for.groups": "false"

Directory ID: 983041 Name: AD- Users Active: true Type: CONNECTOR Created date: 2011-12-28 12:20:50.767 Updated date: 2016-05-24 03:22:39.113 Allowed operations: [UPDATE_GROUP, CREATE_GROUP, CREATE_USER, UPDATE_USER, DELETE_GROUP, UPDATE_ROLE, UPDATE_GROUP_ATTRIBUTE, UPDATE_USER_ATTRIBUTE, DELETE_ROLE, CREATE_ROLE, UPDATE_ROLE_ATTRIBUTE, DELETE_USER] Implementation class: com.atlassian.crowd.directory.MicrosoftActiveDirectory Encryption type: sha Attributes:     "autoAddGroups": ""     "com.atlassian.crowd.directory.sync.issynchronising": "false"     "com.atlassian.crowd.directory.sync.lastdurationms": "31"     "com.atlassian.crowd.directory.sync.laststartsynctime": "1464074559081"     "directory.cache.synchronise.interval": "6000"     "ldap.basedn": "cn=Users,dc=foresters,dc=local"     "ldap.connection.timeout": "100000"     "ldap.group.description": "description"     "ldap.group.dn": "cn=Security Groups, cn=Groups"     "ldap.group.filter": "(objectCategory=Group)"     "ldap.group.name": "cn"     "ldap.group.objectclass": "group"     "ldap.group.usernames": "member"     "ldap.local.groups": "false"     "ldap.nestedgroups.disabled": "false"     "ldap.pagedresults": "true"     "ldap.pagedresults.size": "1000"     "ldap.password": (not shown)     "ldap.pool.timeout": "0"     "ldap.propogate.changes": "true"     "ldap.read.timeout": "200000"     "ldap.referral": "true"     "ldap.relaxed.dn.standardisation": "true"     "ldap.roles.disabled": "true"     "ldap.search.timelimit": "200000"     "ldap.secure": "false"     "ldap.url": "ldap://fh-dc-01.foresters.local:389"     "ldap.user.displayname": "displayName"     "ldap.user.dn": "cn=WebsenseUsers,cn=FHOffice Users,cn=Users"     "ldap.user.email": "mail"     "ldap.user.encryption": "sha"     "ldap.user.filter": "(&(objectCategory=Person)(sAMAccountName=*))"     "ldap.user.firstname": "givenName"     "ldap.user.group": "memberOf"     "ldap.user.lastname": "sn"     "ldap.user.objectclass": "user"     "ldap.user.password": (not shown)     "ldap.user.username": "sAMAccountName"     "ldap.user.username.rdn": "cn"     "ldap.userdn": "confluence_user@foresters.local"     "ldap.usermembership.use": "false"     "ldap.usermembership.use.for.groups": "false"

Directory ID: 65537 Name: Confluence Internal Directory Active: true Type: INTERNAL Created date: 2011-12-23 04:48:37.04 Updated date: 2013-03-13 08:42:49.42 Allowed operations: [UPDATE_GROUP, CREATE_GROUP, CREATE_USER, UPDATE_USER, DELETE_GROUP, UPDATE_ROLE, UPDATE_GROUP_ATTRIBUTE, UPDATE_USER_ATTRIBUTE, DELETE_ROLE, CREATE_ROLE, UPDATE_ROLE_ATTRIBUTE, DELETE_USER] Implementation class: com.atlassian.crowd.directory.InternalDirectory Encryption type: atlassian-security Attributes:     "user_encryption_method": "atlassian-security"

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

thanks in advance. smile

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 23, 2016

I don't know LDAP well enough to answer that with any authority.

Kaveri June 21, 2016

HI,

I was able to solve the above problem with the changing of the user directory to Read Only and created the group.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now there is a challenge I am facing again. We are not able to delete any user not created by local ID  but those who are part of AD.

Getting the  below error: Cannot delete the user , check the server log.

"at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:662) Caused by: com.atlassian.crowd.exception.ApplicationPermissionException: Cannot update user 'rakumar' because directory 'AD - Foresters -Users' does not allow updates.  at com.atlassian.crowd.manager.application.ApplicationServiceGeneric.updateUser(ApplicationServiceGeneric.java:408)  at com.atlassian.crowd.embedded.core.CrowdServiceImpl.updateUser(CrowdServiceImpl.java:315)  ... 216 more s"

Need Help

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 21, 2016

You need to make the directory read/write - the user you're connecting with needs permission to delete users from the directory

Kaveri June 22, 2016

I did that Directory set to Read/Write .But still getting error ..cannot delete and check your server log.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 22, 2016

Check the AD logs to find out why AD is refusing to let you update the users.

Kaveri June 22, 2016

I checked it. It still gives the same error.

FATAL [TP-Processor1] [springframework.ldap.control.AbstractRequestControlDirContextProcessor] postProcess No matching response control found for paged results - looking for 'class javax.naming.ldap.PagedResultsResponseControl  -- referer: http://devwiki/authenticate.action?destination=/admin/users/browseusers.action | url: /doauthenticate.action | userName: fasatsupport | action: doauthenticate 2016-06-23 00:54:16,802 ERROR [TP-Processor1] [crowd.manager.application.ApplicationServiceGeneric] authenticateUser Directory 'AD- Users' is not functional during authentication of 'fasatsupport'. Skipped.  -- referer: http://devwiki/authenticate.action?destination=/admin/users/browseusers.action | url: /doauthenticate.action | userName: fasatsupport | action: doauthenticate 2016-06-23 00:54:23,677 FATAL [TP-Processor1] [springframework.ldap.control.AbstractRequestControlDirContextProcessor] postProcess No matching response control found for paged results - looking for 'class javax.naming.ldap.PagedResultsResponseControl  -- referer: http://devwiki/doauthenticate.action | url: /doauthenticate.action | userName: fasatsupport | action: doauthenticate

Get the above error.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 23, 2016

And that tells you what is wrong - the AD directory is not available.

Your AD link is broken, or AD is not available.  You need to fix that.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events