Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to actually merge table cells

David Karr May 12, 2016

The documentation for tables shows that I "can" merge table cells, but I can't find any description of how to actually do it.  There was a related question 3 years ago (https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/129945), but I still can't make sense of what they're saying and what is happening on my screen.

Note that I'm using Confluence 5.9.3.

Update:

As I don't have 3 karma points yet, I can't reply to answers to my own question, and I apparently can't even post new questions (get "Not Permitted"), I guess my only avenue is to edit my original posting with my additional questions.

------------------------

I also hope it works, but that doesn't appear to help any.

I shift-clicked the cells I want to merge.  I clicked on "Merge Table Cells".  That didn't appear to do anything.  The cells are still separate cells.

Update:

> No clue what "shift-click" means.  You highlight the cells, then click the merge button.  I think what you want is > three columns where you can control the width of each column???????  That is coming in Confluence 6.0

Shift-click is what is required on my platform to highlight a cell.  I've highlighted the cells and clicked the merge button.  Nothing meaningful happens.  I'm not trying to control the column width.  I'm just trying to merge table cells.

Update:

(It's really annoying that I still can't comment on answers to my own question.)

I've determined that merging cells works if you select adjacent cells in the same row, but not in the same column.  I filed this ticket for this.

Update:

I don't quite understand, but I'm finding this is working now.  It's very important that you select the cells in a particular way, and it's not obvious at all what that is.  It does no good to do shift-click or ctrl-click on the cells to merge, even though that appears to highlight the cells.  You need to "click-drag" from one cell to the other.  The funny thing is, I had been doing this last week, and I couldn't get it to work.  This morning, somehow, after click-dragging from one adjacent cell to the other cell in the same column and clicking "Merge table cells", it worked.

6 answers

2 votes
Jose Rico May 12, 2016

I'm not sure if you are looking for this..

1)highlight the cells you want to merge

2)click on the button "Merge table cells"

image2016-5-12 18:32:40.png

I hope it works. I'm using Confluence 5.7.3

1 vote
tobias.fielitz March 25, 2020

Worked for me by selecting both cells, the clicking the little appearing triangle and then merge cells.

1 vote
Derek White October 28, 2019

Breaks with Firefox and embedded tables:

• table inside another table, cannot merge
  • top level table, can merge

All works fine in Chrome.

I think Atlassian has stopped testing against Firefox. I have run across multiple issues that only affect Firefox lately.

Allie C. Rivera October 30, 2019

Awesome, thanks!

Like Derek White likes this
Allen Chesley August 27, 2020

Also breaks with Edge - appears to only work in Chrome.

1 vote
Martin Cleaver
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 28, 2017

David provides the answer in Update #3, but to surface it:

We need to "click-drag" from one cell to the other.

Shift-click does nothing. Really Confluence should provide a hint if it noticed only one cell selected...

0 votes
Johan Karlsson August 29, 2019

This is still an issue in 6.11.1. It is very unclear how to highlight cells the right way. As OP mentioned, the only way is dragging and releasing the mouse. Ctrl+click should be supported, as that is a standard and it certainly looks like  the cells are selected but the merge button does nothing.

Allie C. Rivera October 14, 2019

I'm also still running into this issue - no matter how I select the cells in the row I want to merge, the button does not change them at all.

0 votes
Andrea Carl
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 12, 2016

No clue what "shift-click" means.  You highlight the cells, then click the merge button.  I think what you want is three columns where you can control the width of each column???????  That is coming in Confluence 6.0

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events