exception after 5.02 upgrade

simonwardsnt March 17, 2013

Hi,

I'm testing the Confluence 4.3 to 5.0.2 upgrade process on a copy of our live install. The upgrade completes without any errors but when I try to access the local ip on 8080 I get this exception :

type Exception report

description The server encountered an internal error () that prevented it from fulfilling this request.

exception

com.atlassian.util.concurrent.LazyReference$InitializationException: java.lang.NullPointerException
	com.atlassian.util.concurrent.LazyReference.getInterruptibly(LazyReference.java:149)
	com.atlassian.util.concurrent.LazyReference.get(LazyReference.java:112)
	com.atlassian.confluence.web.filter.LanguageExtractionFilter.getLocaleManager(LanguageExtractionFilter.java:63)
	com.atlassian.confluence.web.filter.LanguageExtractionFilter.doFilter(LanguageExtractionFilter.java:48)
	com.atlassian.core.filters.AbstractHttpFilter.doFilter(AbstractHttpFilter.java:31)
	com.atlassian.confluence.util.RequestCacheThreadLocalFilter.doFilter(RequestCacheThreadLocalFilter.java:25)
	com.atlassian.confluence.web.filter.DebugFilter.doFilter(DebugFilter.java:44)
	com.atlassian.core.filters.AbstractHttpFilter.doFilter(AbstractHttpFilter.java:31)
	com.atlassian.core.filters.HeaderSanitisingFilter.doFilter(HeaderSanitisingFilter.java:44)
	com.atlassian.confluence.servlet.FourOhFourErrorLoggingFilter.doFilter(FourOhFourErrorLoggingFilter.java:65)
root cause

java.lang.NullPointerException
	com.atlassian.spring.container.ContainerManager.getComponent(ContainerManager.java:33)
	com.atlassian.confluence.util.LazyComponentReference$Accessor.get(LazyComponentReference.java:44)
	com.atlassian.util.concurrent.Lazy$Strong.create(Lazy.java:85)
	com.atlassian.util.concurrent.LazyReference$Sync.run(LazyReference.java:321)
	com.atlassian.util.concurrent.LazyReference.getInterruptibly(LazyReference.java:143)
	com.atlassian.util.concurrent.LazyReference.get(LazyReference.java:112)
	com.atlassian.confluence.web.filter.LanguageExtractionFilter.getLocaleManager(LanguageExtractionFilter.java:63)
	com.atlassian.confluence.web.filter.LanguageExtractionFilter.doFilter(LanguageExtractionFilter.java:48)
	com.atlassian.confluence.util.RequestCacheThreadLocalFilter.doFilter(RequestCacheThreadLocalFilter.java:25)
	com.atlassian.confluence.web.filter.DebugFilter.doFilter(DebugFilter.java:44)
	com.atlassian.core.filters.HeaderSanitisingFilter.doFilter(HeaderSanitisingFilter.java:44)
	com.atlassian.confluence.servlet.FourOhFourErrorLoggingFilter.doFilter(FourOhFourErrorLoggingFilter.java:65)

There doesn't seem ot be much in there to help troubleshoot. I've tried clearing out the work directories in the confluence home location but it hasn't helped.

Any suggestions for next steps would be highly appreciated.

Thanks,

Simon

1 answer

0 votes
Daniel Borcherding
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 18, 2013

Hello Simon,

Without know too much about your instance i might suggest you flush the plugin cache.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/CONFKB/How+to+Clear+Confluence+Plugins+Cache

We see errors similar to these often resolved with the process outlined above. If that does not resolve your issue let us know. We may want to review more of the logs contained in the following directories.

• <confluence_home>/logs/*
  • <confluence_install>/logs/*
simonwardsnt March 24, 2013

Thanks Daniel,

After clearing the plugin cache we now get a different error page :

The SystemInformationService could not be retrieved from the container. Therefore very limited information is available in this error report.
The SystemInformationService could not be retrieved due to the following error: java.lang.NullPointerException

Cause

com.atlassian.util.concurrent.LazyReference$InitializationException: java.lang.NullPointerException
at com.atlassian.util.concurrent.LazyReference.getInterruptibly(LazyReference.java:152)

caused by: java.lang.NullPointerException
at com.atlassian.spring.container.ContainerManager.getComponent(ContainerManager.java:33)

I cant include the whole stack trace in this comment due to post length limits. If you could let me know which logs or further information you need then I'll get right on it.
At the moment these problems are on a snapshot of our live server so it's not causing us a big problem, however, we'd like to start using the features in v5 soon-ish.
Thanks,
Simon
Daniel Borcherding
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 25, 2013

Simon,

What version of Java are you running?

simonwardsnt March 26, 2013

We are running jre 1.4.2, which is a lot older than I'd expected. I'll take a snapshot, upgrade to 1.7 and see how it goes.

thanks,

Simon

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events